Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Story Of The Doctor Who Falsified His Scientific Research. Because There Are No Losers In Drugmonkey Elections

Three of you cared. Three of you out there looked past the easy entertainment of the everyday circus that is my worklife and said "Drugmonkey, while tales of drugstore sales clerks who direct customers looking for corn medicine to the gardening section never fail to amuse us, we are concerned about any threat to the objectivity of the scientific method, and we take seriously our obligation to stay part of an informed citizenry." I have heard your pleas, and you will have the story you so deserve to hear.

Of course one person demanded that I write both stories, which I am about to do, so I guess you could really say I am just caving into this particular person's demands. Perhaps you are about to read this tale of scientific skulduggery only because I am spineless and weak. At any rate, from last Saturday's New York Times:

Dr. Romney C. Andersen, a Walter Reed Army Medical Center surgeon, was surprised last summer when his neighbor, a fellow doctor, congratulated him on a new medical journal study bearing his name.

“What study?” Dr. Andersen asked.

Soon, he was not the only person asking questions. Army officials, alerted by Dr. Andersen, began an investigation. They uncovered an apparent case of falsified research by a doctor who had befriended Dr. Andersen when they both worked at Walter Reed, treating American soldiers severely injured in Iraq.

The disputed journal article was written by a former Army orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Timothy R. Kuklo, who is now a medical professor at Washington University in St. Louis. Dr. Kuklo, the investigation found, forged the signatures of Dr. Andersen and other Army doctors on his study and never showed it to them before it was published.


I won't say anything about bad karma coming from an illegal war started by an incompetent president, because quite honestly, compared to slaughtering a hundred thousand or so people who didn't attack us for no good reason, something like this wouldn't even register on the karma payback scale. Karma has bigger plans for us I'm sure.

In his study, Dr. Kuklo, who has not responded to repeated interview requests, reported that a bone-growth product sold by Medtronic, called Infuse, performed “strikingly” better than the traditional bone-grafting technique used to heal soldiers’ shattered shin bones. Other Walter Reed doctors told an Army investigator that claim was overblown.


But.....but....why would someone do such a thing? Forge signatures to get a scientific paper published? Maybe because he just wanted to look smart, and wanted some of the honor and prestige that comes with being a smart person.

Medtronic financed some of Dr. Kuklo’s research and travel while he was at Walter Reed and hired him as a consultant in August 2006 when he took his current academic post.

Or maybe he just wanted to get paid. Seriously, how much honor and prestige comes with being a smart person in today's society?

Medtronic has said that it had no involvement in the disputed Infuse study, despite its business ties to Dr. Kuklo.


Oh, well that makes it OK then. Because, I mean, if Medtronic was dropping off truckloads of cash in front of someones door for purposes that were not directly related to a study that person was doing, I can't think of any incentive that person might have to make Medtronic's products look good. Really, I'm sitting here racking my brain and just can't come up with a reason at all.

Dr. Kuklo has his defenders though. Like Dr. David W. Polly, who I bet is taking his stance based on scientific principle, or maybe deep friendship and an awareness of Dr. Kuklo's character, or perhaps just on the belief that one is innocent until proven guilty:

Dr. Kuklo, who moved into a $2.1 million home near St. Louis, was not the first departing Walter Reed doctor to get a consulting deal from Medtronic. For instance, it had struck an arrangement with Dr. Kuklo’s former boss, Dr. David W. Polly Jr., when he left the military hospital in 2003.

Dr. Polly is now one of Dr. Kuklo’s staunchest public defenders. Recently, Dr. Polly blocked a reporter’s request that the University of Minnesota, where he now works, release his financial disclosure statement showing how much he made from Medtronic.

Or, maybe Dr Polly just wants to make sure he keeps getting paid. I'll let you decide which is more likely.

Dr. Polly, said Dr. Kuklo was mistaken to sign his co-authors’ names. But he added that was not uncommon in the military for one officer, when it was expedient, to sign for another.


"As a matter of fact, that's how I was deployed out of Iraq" Dr. Polly said in an imaginary interview. "I signed my commanding officer's name to an honorable discharge, and I was headed home the next day. Seriously, it's done all the time."

A spokesman for the Army declined to say when reached for comment in my mind only if this common practice may be responsible for any difficulty in retaining military personnel in active combat theaters.

(Dr. Kuklo's) August 2008 journal article cited other Walter Reed data to compare Infuse with the traditional bone-graft treatment for fractured shins. He declared Infuse the winner by a wide margin.

Dr. Kuklo said he had reached that finding by reviewing the records of two groups of the soldiers with similarly severe leg injuries, who had been treated either with Infuse or a bone graft. But Dr. Andersen suspected that Dr. Kuklo had fabricated the comparison groups, because many soldiers had received both Infuse and a bone graft — not one or the other.

“It was like he was comparing apples and oranges,” Dr. Andersen said. “But there weren’t any apples or oranges to compare.”

Good thing we don't have socialized medicine in this country though. Because if we had socialized medicine scientific research in this country would get all fucked up.

Wake. Up.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, a pretty sad thing to say...when mention was made of a tale of dubious research, this blog reader's mental reaction was 'so what?', as if this stuff happens all the time, then is duly reported and blown-up and sensationalized in the popular multi-media venues. But, this story, with deft handling brought back some of the sensibilities from long ago (before a previous political environment), that I used to expect from academia in the public sector.

(The local university had just undergone intensive scrutiny with a scientist publishing unverifiable research conducted by grad students, that seemed to merely add to the blase status quo expectations as a prevailing attitude. It's surprising, then, to realize the pervasiveness of 'corruption', when falsifying research data by physicians in cahoots with respectable companies (like Medtronics) is 'just a sign of the times'.

As undergrad, results of work-study research in a 'ceutics lab was treated as a State secret, as my professor kept data under lock and key, etc. I had forgotten how meticulously careful we were with information security techniques to rival HIPAA. It seemed, sometimes as if there was someone out there wanting to obtain data from that small third floor lab of a rather 'desolate' pharmacy school campus building; as if there were rogue researchers out to falsify the results of dissolution trials.

Unknown said...

Karma will come back and bite them! But who are we as an American culture to even TRY to be honest anymore....Like you said, our record is not that great..We elect less than qualified presidents who literally cannot speak in public WITH a teleprompter much less run a country....It's sad that money in today's society is worth more than respect.

Unknown said...

Jesus, that's disgusting.

Thanks for humoring the three of us who wanted this story.

Michael Guzzo said...

I won't say anything about bad karma coming from an illegal war started by an incompetent president, because quite honestly, compared to slaughtering a hundred thousand or so people who didn't attack us for no good reason, something like this wouldn't even register on the karma payback scale.



Whew.. I was starting to think that I was the only one with these thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I wanted both stories but was too lazy to go to twitter and vote!! Thanks for providing both stories!!

Jake Mock said...

I would like to point out that this doc is a loser, therefore there are losers in DrugMonkey (TM) elections.

Scritches.com said...

You are my hero, drugmonkey. Never change what you're doing.

Cracked Pestle said...

Yeah, DM, thanks for throwing us a bone.
I've had the dubious honor of busting a physician involved in a drug study at our hospital for fraudulent data submission. He claimed he had examined one of our study patients more than a week after she had expired. See, if she had lived just a few more days, she would have been an evaluable case, meaning he would have received a much larger stipend from the drug company sponsor. Golly, I wonder what could have motivated him to do something so unethical. I wonder...

Erra said...

Honor. Ethics. Honesty. Accountability. These words soon to be retired from American dictionaries due to lack of relevance to modern culture.

'one person' said...

Of course one person demanded that I write both stories, which I am about to do, so I guess you could really say I am just caving into this particular person's demands.

Does this means I am entitled to more demands? I demand a Drugmonkey book. Nooooowwwwwwwwww. And I get the first copy. Autographed.

midwest woman said...

The mantra is publish or die. This is why as a nurse I'm always a little suspicious of the newest study du jour that will tell us the newest tx for a disease process because of course it's "evidence" based.
Show me the money and then maybe I'll buy the evidence.

Dark Jay said...

Back in my student days my Research Methodologies prof quipped "Never let the facts get in the way of a good bias." These days it's all about the money. Have a look at Dr. Carlat's psychiatry blog for yet another bit of bullshit from Emory University. Thanks to you blog garneners for illuminating the crap flung by our "trusted authorities."

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I was wondering if you might be willing to mention my raffle/fundraiser. I would NOT ask if it wasn't for a great cause. Plus, there are over 90 donated prizes to win totaling over $3000.00! And who doesn't like to win??

It's really a win-win for everyone. People get to help me meet my fundraising goal AND potentionally win big.

Yesterdat was the 6th anniversary of my Dad's heart transplant. I am more determined than ever to give back in a big way.

This is the comment I have been leaving on certain blogs in hopes that the word will get out about what I'm trying to do.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE clickover and enter my raffle!! You can truly win TONS OF PRIZES (totaling over $3000.00 - goft crds, Starbucks coffee maker, $600 in camping equipemtn, gorgeous jewelry).

It's for a great cause….

http://www.firstgiving.com/hallietwomey

6 years ago my Dad received a new heart.

This is my way of giving back.
Hallie
http://wonderfulworldofweiners.blogspot.com/


Thank you for any help you can give,
Hallie

Anonymous said...

I just became a huge fan. Don’t know where I popped into your blog from, but I love your posts. This has nothing to do with this post but here goes:

why in the hell do pharmacists persist in automatically filling my prescription with generic without asking my permission? If my RX is for XYZ, and I hand them the script, shouldn’t they do me the common courtesy of ASKING me first before they fill it and I walk out the door w/a generic brand for XYZ that I can’t return because it’s already out the door? What’s the real reason behind this foolishness? I understand that generics are covered by my insurance company, but as a patient, I want to make the decision to pay out of pocket or take the generic for less. It makes so mad that pharmacists make the decision for me. tell me the truth… is this “don’t ask, just fill with generic policy” something to do with Big Pharma or Insurance companies?

pharmacy said...

I had a friend of mine who had some sort of spinal graft surgery done. He said that it was a product that had seen a lot of use in the army and was unapproved but a great product.

The surgery was unsuccessful and now I've seen him in constant pain, even with high doses of duragesic and roxicodone, which unlike the thousands of doctor shoppers everywhere he actually needs. He's a shell of the man he used to be. I wonder if there's any relation to this product.

Soma said...

I wonder how people can trust their doctors if these excuses for medical professionals don't even respect their own colleagues?

Anonymous said...

cost of one fake study: $800,000

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/business/18surgeon.html?partner=rss&emc=rss