Thursday, April 07, 2005

I Can't Believe The News Today.....

....as the pre-sellout Bono would have said. "I can't close my eyes and make it go away" There was a time when I would have never thought I would hear this discussion in 21st century America, but there it was on the radio on my way to work. NPR picked up on the Washington Post story I cited earlier here about pharmacists not dispensing Birth Control pills and gave an hour to it. You can hear it all here :

http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2005/04/pharmacists-and-conscience/

I have a drug called Accutaine on the shelf, which requires a woman to test negative for pregnancy before she can be issued a prescription, since it will cause major birth defects to a developing fetus.

Thalidomide is back, there are many people alive today with grossly misshapen limbs because their mothers took it when they were pregnant.

I have chemotherapy agents that are direct descendants of the mustard gas used to exterminate people in the trenches in World War I

Yet this stupid......goddamn redneck pharmacist in Louisiana gets on national radio and says the Birth Control pill, is "the most dangerous chemical on the market" and says he doesn't sell them "in the name of science"

The jihad is here my friend, and I am truly frightened of what may be being done "in the name of science" in 20 years time. Think I'm being melodramatic? I heard a story on the same NPR awhile back of a woman who kept an audio diary of her world travels in the late 60's. She talked of a city that surprised her with it's cosmopolitan character, where the new fashion statement was the western miniskirt. The city was Kabul, Afghanistan, where 30 years later that miniskirt wearing woman's daughter could be stoned for exposing her face in public.

How ironic that someone who nicknamed himself the drugnazi is trying to protect you from the likes of Lloyd DuPlantis Jr. of Gray, Louisiana, too much of a chickenshit to publicly embrace his own religious beliefs, using the credibility of his profession to try and dupe the public by cloaking them in the name of "science".

11 comments:

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Lloyd's store phone number is (985) 872-4547 by the way. I bet he'd be happy to explain why he thinks Oral Contraceptives are "the most dangerous chemicals on the market" if you give him a call. Or you can drop him a line at lloydrem@lloydsremedies.com

Romius T. said...

Thank-God we have the DrugNazi! Right wing "nuts" (I say that like there is some other kind)would love to turn this country in to a theocracy, many openly admit it.
Fear the Wackos!

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

here's another "scientist" -from a story in the April 19th New York Times:

"But Patty Levin, a pharmacist for 22 years who works at Wender & Roberts in the north Atlanta suburb of Sandy Springs, said that she had never been asked to fill a prescription for the morning-after pill.

"I would be opposed to dispensing that particular product," she said. "It's basically an early abortion, is basically what it is. I would just hand it to the other pharmacist here," she said, adding, "If I'm not filling it, it doesn't involve me."

I bet Patty would love to discuss the issue with anyone who happens to be in the Atlanta area......

Anonymous said...

Well, I think it's all a bunch of crap. I can't even get a much needed prescription (WITH a refill) refilled 6 days early because some jerk stole my handbag with the medication inside it (to be taken at meals, which, until my purse was stolen, I was about to have). Some laws are fine when it comes to drugs, pharmacies, pharmacists, doctors, but others, for crying out loud, are pathetic.

Anonymous said...

Make the bad man go away!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Are oral contraceptives just for
oral sex?

Anne said...

Drugmonkey/nazi, you are my hero. Whenever the forces of darkness--er, current administration and its behind-the-scenes religious right cronies--get me down, I visit your blog and it is a beacon of hope unto me. If I were straight, I would have proposed marriage by now. As it is, I just wish I knew where you were so I could send you a rich, peaty single-malt.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Anne,

Any woman who knows that the Laphroaig is distinguished by its rich peatiness would have her proposal accepted. 'Cause I'm pretty sure I've never mentioned that here....:)

ariel said...

I just called the store and I got their voicemail. I thought you might be interested to hear this snippet:

"In case of emergency, please leave your name and a detailed message, and someone will return your call."

monster said...

You love that line, don't you?

Plus it looks like you're gonna have more than one toaster :)

Anonymous said...

I have spent the last few days reading through the archives of your blog, after my future sister in law linked your post on Why Your Prescription Takes So Ling To Fill. After seven very long years as a pharm tech for WAG, I cannot recall the number of times you have made me laugh in the past few days. Not to mention the horrible, repressed memories you have dredged up! I then realize that the last ten years I have spent working as an RN, sadly, have mirrored the decline the pharmacy profession has seen. Less staff, increased responsibility, increasing pressure to shorten wait times , length of stay, and door-to-doctor times in the ER. The new burden of reconciling a patient's home medications ("I take a YELLOW blood pressure pill, not a white one!!") has only been slightly alleviated by the knowledge of medications gained from my years behind the RX counter. I FINALLY came across this introduction to Lloyd, and am now complete :) Thank you DM for filling the time while I recover from ankle surgery waiting to go back to my dungeon and hear yet another patient reply "I don't have one" in response to the question "Did you call your PMD about this before coming to the ER?"