Monday, June 11, 2012

I Think If I Had It To Do Over Again.....

.....I'd be a weatherman. Not the goofy guy on TV who seems to get more and more minutes of the local newscast every year, I mean the dude who runs the numbers or looks at the charts or sticks his finger in the air or whatever it is they do to come up with the chance of rain tomorrow. A meteorologist. That's what I'm talking about.

 I'd sit back in my office, with no people around, clack on the computer for a little bit until lunch, look at some maps, think it over some, pick up the phone and ask my buddy 500 miles to the west if its raining there, then issue my pronouncements. In case you missed the advantages of this over my current job, I'll go over them again:

1) sit

2) no people around

3) lunch

4) the ability to think it over before being required to give an answer.

I would also finally learn the difference between partly cloudy and mostly sunny. This has bothered me for years.

Not to mention I would have a much larger margin of error than I have now. I'd be all like, "Hey, I said 60% chance of rain. That means there was a 40% percent chance it wasn't gonna rain, so really, you can't prove if I was wrong or not."

I see no downside to this, other than having to come up with enough ways to say "60% chance of rain" to fill up 15 minutes of a half hour newscast.

I wonder if it's too late to go to weather school.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Working in a managed care environment would afford you the same benefits you listed in the bullet points above.

wiley said...

Yep. Kaiser Permanente appears to have it together. What those box stores are doing to pharmacology and pharmacologists is wicked.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have become a pharmacist if I could do over. Not worth it.

RxSlinger said...

Too late for me to learn the difference between partly cloudy and mostly sunny. Good luck to you my friend.

Renee said...

I don't know man, the NWS people in my building have to go up to the observation tower whenever there's a tornado threat, which is pretty often around these parts.

Từ Thanh Giác said...

I work with meteorologists. It's cool working for the Air District. I've been with them for 21 years. Once in awhile I have a nightmare that I am back in pharmacy. I wake up in a cold seat.

Anonymous said...

Amen to #2.

Anonymous said...

As a soon to be pharmacist (recent grad awaiting for ridiculous NYS to send my ATT number), I have always contemplated to become a meteorologist since they can be 100% wrong and still have a job.

Shalom said...

Back in the early '70s a comedian named John Byrd came out with an LP (remember those? Round black things a foot in diameter with music on them) pretending to be the collected broadcasts of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin.

One track was a supposed weather report, reproduced here verbatim:

"Here de weather forecast, as issued at 12:00 Greenwich Meaning Time, by de Uganda Meteorological Office:

Dey been up on de Air Ministry roof and it pissin' down wid rain.

And dat de end of de weather forecast."

I think he could have made it as a TV weatherman, no?