Saturday, January 23, 2010

I Can't Decide Which Of These Stories Is More Messed Up.

Both were sent in by alert readers, and for the life of me I can't decide which one wins the prize.

Candidate number one:

LOGAN, OH- A Logan man who admitted he tried to kill his wife by crashing their vehicle into a city of Logan "Gateway" column has died.

The Hocking County Sheriff's office confirmed Ross Nice, 73 died at Ohio State University Medical Center. He was admitted there on Nov. 24 for serious injuries sustained in the incident.

The sheriff's office had a warrant for Nice on two counts of attempted aggravated murder and planned to serve it after his release from the hospital. Nice was accused of first striking his wife, 52 year-old Bonnie Nice, in the head with a wrench and cutting her with a knife in an attempt to kill her.

Later the same morning, with his wife in the passenger seat, he intentionally drove their minivan off the side of Front Street, according to authorities, and into a cinder block column attached to one of Logan's gates welcoming people into the city with the message "Logan, Gateway to Ohio's Scenic Wonderland." He aimed the minivan so the front passenger portion of the vehicle took the force of the impact, authorities said.

His wife survived the attacks and was released from Grant Medical Center on Friday.

Candidate number two:

WARM SPRINGS, Ga. – A Georgia woman is in jail after police say she forced her son to kill his pet hamster with a hammer as punishment for bad grades.

The sheriff of rural Meriwether County told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Thursday that the 12-year-old boy told his teacher about the killing. The teacher reported it to the Division of Family and Child Services, who contacted police.

Sheriff Steve Whitlock said 38-year-old Lynn Middlebrooks Geter of Warm Springs faces one charge each of animal cruelty, child cruelty and battery.

So, my first impulse is to go with the hamster. Fucking with your kid like that is pretty messed up. That boy probably ain't gonna be right in the head for like......ever. And the minivan thing is kinda funny and definitely karmic, which makes it feel less messed up.

On the other hand, hamster momma never tried to injure or kill a person. At least physically. And minivan man tried to actually kill his wife. Twice. Which really isn't funny. Unlike the fact his name was "Nice." That's kinda funny.

And what kind of person, after suffering a wrench and knife attack, says "Sure, I'd love to go for a ride with you?" That's pretty messed up.

I guess......I'm going with minivan man. I think the incompetence factor tips the scale.

But.... hamster Mom wanted her son to get better grades, so I guess she really cared about him, in an incredibly messed up kinda way.

My head is starting to hurt thinking about this.

At least I know now I really wasn't the world's worst husband, and I can be pretty sure I wouldn't be the worlds worst parent.

14 comments:

JohnnyB said...

Thanks, that is a nice break from the internal debate about who is sicker, Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh; but it's going to distract me all day. I'm leaning toward minivan dude.

Phathead said...

That's about as good as the dad who took his son out back and shot him with a shotgun after he found out the boy had been molesting his sister.

Anonymous said...

I am an animal lover so I have to go with candidate 2. The woman in the first story should have gotten out after the wrench, the hamster was a completely innocent bystander. That kid is definitely screwed up forever. It's a shame candidate one died, seem she might be "the one" for that stupid mom. She could see how it feels to beaten with a tool.

pacalaga said...

I think if we're looking at only the people, prolly minivan guy. After all, that was three tries before he finally managed to get away from the woman permanently. Situationally, though, I have to go with the hamster bitch. I'm pretty sure the repercussions of that one will far outlast the other guy.
Either way, I hate people.

Từ Thanh Giác said...

The "Hamster Mommy" could have been worse. She could have made him step on ants.

I suffer a lot of guilt. I forced my son to eat broccoli.

Scritches.com said...

Mother -- definitely.

Unknown said...

The guy in the minivan sounds like a prime candidate for one of this year's Darwin Awards. He meets all the criteria.
Maybe it's me being a softie for animals, but I have to go with the psycho-bitch mom...

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, i'm also leaning toward the minivan husband. However, just to play the devil's advocate, the hamster mom may be just as bad because she is abusing her child mentally not to mention other abuses she may be afflicting on her kid if she forced her kid to kill an actual living thing. I guess we have to question does the means to an end justify the end? I'd have to say no the means to an end does not justify the end. How you achieve certain goals is just as important as achieving that goal.

Unknown said...

I'm feeling like a better parent already! Poor kid.

Toothpaste said...

Hamster mom, for sure.

harpy said...

I'm gonna have to go with the mom because it nevers says why Mr. Nice wanted to kill his wife. Were there medical issues involved? Was she complicit in the attempts? It seems if the guy really hated her he would've been successful with the wrench or the knife. The fact that she stayed with him through three attempts makes me think there is more to this story.

Amy from Circle Rice said...

I'm leaning towards the hamster story. I have a horrible memory of not feeding my 2 gerbils when I was a kid, so i found one of them eating the other. I may just be making this up in my head, but I can't believe my mom wasn't supervising me closer. It gives me shivers just thinking about it. Gotta catch up on your blog now! Amy

The little tech that does... said...

What kind of mother does that to her kid? That kid will be messed up for a long time. As for the wife.., why did she stick around? Sad world we live in today.

Athena said...

I wonder what Mr. Nice's parent did to him 61 years earlier when he got bad grades?

Both are messed up. I am so glad there was a responsible adult in the Georgia story - Hope springs eternal