Monday, August 20, 2007

Good News For The American Health Care System, Which Is The Best In The World

At least according to a certain dumbass president, who said the following on May 1st, 2006:

America has the best health care system in the world, pure and simple.

We got the best medicines, we got the best doctors and we have the best hospitals. And we intend to keep it that way.


I won't mention the lack of English language skills on display here. I'm numb to that by now. I will mention how the facts have a habit of continually getting in this man's way. From the UK Guardian:


A combination of expensive health insurance and an ever-increasing rate of obesity appear to be behind a startling fall by the US in the world rankings of life expectancy.

Despite being one of the richest countries in the world, America has dropped from 11th to 42nd place in 20 years, according to official US figures.

The worst life expectancy figures are in Africa, with Swaziland at the bottom, at 34.1 years.

Best health care system in the world. Yup. Pure and simple. I think really there's only one way a patriotic American who cares about their country would react to this news:

IN YOUR FACE SWAZILAND!!!!! WE'RE NUMBER 42!!...... WE'RE NUMBER 42!! WHHHOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!! USA!..... USA!..... USA!

Oh Man..... my chest hurts all the sudden after all that jumping around taunting Swaziland.....I better sit down for a second.....

While I catch my breath, perhaps you could ponder the fact that in addition to dropping like a rock in life-expectancy rankings, our bridges no longer stay up, most of the damage caused by hurricane Katrina came from 40 year old levees that failed, and most of us were poorer in 2005 than we were in 2000. Maybe you will realize that your country is, quite literally, falling apart. Then maybe you'll take a look at the counter to the right of this page.

Hunter S. Thompson wrote towards the end of his life that he was surprised and embarrassed to be a part of the first American generation to leave the country in far worse shape than it was when he first came into it. I am saddened to be part of the second. I will remember that counter when I hear of the next bridge collapse, and so should you.

3 comments:

Jenn Siva said...

I am holding out for 2008 and hoping we can get someone else in there. I have lost all hope that are sitting duck will do anything more useful than give my husband further tax cuts.

--==-- said...

Bush is right, we do have the most talented professionals in the world, it's more of a question of access....or lack thereof...

Anonymous said...

The way he pronounces the word "nuclear" is just as enchanting as his poor verbal ability. New-cue-lurr... genius.