Sunday, July 26, 2015

From The Mailbag, A Reader Concerned With The State Of My Relations To Federal Affairs.

The message, in its entirety:

So....How's Obama working out for you?! LOL

Glad you asked my friend, as I haven't had much of a chance here to tell folks  how many more prescriptions I'm filling these days from the Obamacare. Funny thing how people tend to give me more business once they're finally able to afford to see a doctor, and a little ironic how the reason I haven't had the time to tell you about all the extra prescriptions I've been filling is because of...all the extra prescriptions I've been filling.

That's the main effect I see as to how the Obama's working out for me. I'd call it a win win for me and my customers.

Of course there's more to a presidency than money for me, so I suppose we should take a minute and ponder some of the other workings out of the Obama administration:

-A quantum leap forward in rights for gays and lesbians.

- A solution to a vexing problem in the Middle East that doesn't involve a bunch of dead people.

-Long overdue recognition that pretending that the government of Cuba doesn't exist is kinda stupid.

-Acknowledgement, at the top federal level, of the idiotic gun culture so unique to us.

-Net neutrality is now federal policy.

-AT&T and T-Mobile were stopped from combining to make your cell phone service even worse than it is now.

-Comcast and Time Warner were stopped from combining to make your cable/internet service even worse than it is now.

-No more federal cheer leading for the likes of Lloyd Duplantis and his ilk. Pharmacists, you'll remember, who got their 15 minutes of fame during the Bush administration for denying women birth control prescriptions.

We'll classify those under "things you definitely wouldn't have got under a President McCain or Romney."

By the way, there have been developments on the Lloyd Duplantis front. Stay tuned.

Back to the Obama workings out though:

-A president who addresses the out of control criminal justice system we've created, and the personal, spiritual, and financial toll it takes on every American.

-An economy that didn't collapse after it was left on the brink by George The Lesser.

Those will go under "things you probably wouldn't have got under those other two guys."

It hasn't all been roses and sunshine though, to wit:

-George The Lesser's wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are still limping along, although another way of looking at it would be two fewer wars have been started than during the previous administration.

-Guantanamo's still there.

-Zero action, at the federal level, regarding the idiotic gun culture so unique to us.

-A monstrosity of a trade deal is working it's way into law. If you haven't read about the Trans Pacific Partnership you should.

Those will go under "things that probably would have happened under a Republican administration."

All in all I'd give Obama a "B," mostly for the increased foot traffic going through my business these days. If I were rotting away in Guantanamo or humping around in Afghanistan, I'd be inclined to grade him a little lower.

Not quite sure why you care about my views so much my anonymous friend, but there you go.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to all of the above. You go drugmonkey!

Christine said...

Glad to see you posting again, DM, and gladder still that you're prospering these days. You sure as hell have earned it. :)

Anonymous said...

I want to encourage you and anyone you can influence to consider voting for Donald Trump in the June, 2016 California primary. Should he still be in it at that point, I cannot imagine my vote going to anyone who would I would rather have on the ballot in the general election. I say this sincerely as someone who vowed never ever to vote to elect a Republican even for dogcatcher after the Bush coup in 2000. It is precisely the strength of my principles that motivates me in this sincere commitment to The Donald's primary campaign in the Golden State.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

I'm a step ahead of you anonymous. I was seriously thinking about registering as a Republican so i could do just that.

Anonymous said...

What I like about 'No Drama, Mr. Obama' is precisely that. He was there and he meant business. My vote for him was about the best use of the democratic system I've had access since I've been able to vote.

As for voting for the future, we'll have to see about sifting sand in a pan and where there's gold that shows up. It was pretty clear early on in the last two elections who I wanted in-residence in the White House, but I simply cannot imagine quite a few of those bozos even ...

Anonymous said...

I am not seriously thinking about it. I WILL register Republican, but I will wait until Memorial Day weekend 2016 to make my final decision based on The Donald's delegate count.

Unknown said...

Just curious where you stand on the Second Amendment. I realize that many people view it less as a right to own weapons personally, and more as a right for the government to form a militia (in our day-in-age most would regard the State-Controlled National Guards as militia). However, I would refute that opinion, and submit the following quote from Alexander Hamilton.


"If circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens."
-Federalist Paper XXIX

I will however grant that the indifference described here by 19th Century Historian and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story leads me to believe that because the vast majority of the population of our nation is ignorant in political matters, we indeed *have* lost the protection provided against tyrannical rule as the government slowly undermines those freedoms.

"How it is practicable to keep the people duly armed without some organization, it is difficult to see. There is certainly no small danger, that indifference may lead to disgust, and disgust to contempt; and thus gradually undermine all the protection intended by this clause of our National Bill of Rights."
-Commentaries on the Constitution, 1865

You recently posted about similarities between 9/11 and the Burning of the German Congress building as Hitler took power. Should 9/11 have become such a catalyst and a 'tyranical' regime took power in the United States, without the ownership of firearms, with what would the common man defend himself against such rule?

I pose these questions with the aire of intellectual sparring, with no intention to insult your views.