Monday, July 30, 2012

GlaxoSmithKline Manages To Make My Cold, Cynical Heart Just A Little Colder.

I want you to remember two things as you watch this video, taken from the 2001 launch of the soon to be mega blockbuster med Advair.

First, the self-described mission of GSK:

 We have a challenging and inspiring mission to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.

You'll see as you watch how GSK is focused, laser-like, on nothing but how to improve the quality of human life. Count how many times they mention enabling people to do more, feel better, and live longer versus the number of times Pink Floyd's "Money" plays while GSK executives take the stage.

The second thing I want you to remember is more important. Advair was never indicated as a first line asthma treatment. Never. It was approved only as a go-to med when others don't work. As a matter of fact, GSK specifically applied to the FDA for approval as a first line asthma med and was rejected. You'll see as you watch how GSK made it absolutely clear to their sales force that why it would have been nice to be able to sell Advair as first line therapy, they will just have to do the best they can with the indications they got.

The third thing you can do is help me decide if the opening scene here is freakin' hilarious or disgusting. Part of me wants to laugh out loud until I can't breathe when I see these King Dorkos, part of me wants to puke.

On to the show, courtesy of Mother Jones Magazine and an alert reader, to whom I owe a thank you.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The attendees will need a quick inhale after that grandioso entrance. Spirit Fingers!

Anonymous said...

in case you're still on the fence, disgusting is my vote.

Anonymous said...

Microsoft would be proud.

Anonymous said...

Are they selling Advair or Amway??

My vote goes for disgusting too.

Anonymous said...

I'm embarrassed to be a pharmacist and be associated with this sort of thing..... THIS is what's wrong with America.

Anonymous said...

"purple haze all in my brain

lately things don't seem the same"

This is EXACTLY why detail men have been banned from almost all of the doctor places in the area...


Rex Henricus

Anonymous said...

I managed to make it to about 1:45 before I collapsed from an Acute 1990 Episode.

Anonymous said...

And that is why the kings of crass get their $$ million/yr end-of-year bonuses. Once a person stoops that low, there's no getting up outta the muck without permanent mudstains on their shoes (or knees).

Scritches.com said...

Well, as long as their primary purpose is the well-being of the patient . . . .

The Phrustrated Pharmacist said...

Well, I just thought my melancholy mood for our profession had lifted.

Again, partly our (pharmacist-types) fault...how many fruit or deli trays have you grazed off of in the past? How many cool little drug rep gift pens and gadgets have you coveted, or for you really old ones, even more valuable gifts (like a Dallas Cowboys game)? I'm as guilty as anyone. But no more, not even a pen. It's never too late to do the right thing.

I knew this type of stuff went on, but it's one thing to know it and another to see it. I am thoroughly disgusted and sickened. Shame on any and all healthcare professionals who participate in this.

From this minute forward, drug reps are no longer welcome in my store. I will do it nicely, professionally, but I will make sure they know I know what is going on when I ask them to leave and never darken my doorstep again.

I am sharing this video with anyone who will watch. I have people in my community that I love and spend my life with that are making the decision to eat or buy their medications, yet GSK put on quite the expensive concert event (but I'm sure the CEO-types paid for that out of their own pocket).

I may even be able to get this in front of a United States Congressman. Yes, I do feel that strongly about it, plus I've about reached my boiling point for watching pharmacists ignore and accept crap they know better than to ignore.

Thanks, Drug Monkey, I now have proof that the reason branded drugs cost so much is their research & development. (dripping sarcasm here)

I cannot wait until the day I am out of this joke of a profession. I know I should be interested in trying to solve the problems, and that it will affect me as a patient myself, but I am so done with this crap.