Thursday, February 16, 2012

Highlights From Recent Pill Counting Action.

I was excited when I first heard of the 15 minute prescription filling guarantee, as the prospect of seeing outer space has always excited me. Visions of visiting distant galaxies and alien civilizations danced in my brain. I thought about the incredible learning experience I was about to undergo as I boldly went where before no man had gone.

What do you pack for time travel?

As some of you may be aware, Einstein's theory of relativity predicts that altering time is indeed possible. That if one were traveling faster than the speed of light, because that speed remains constant in your perception, other things must change in order to keep the equation of the universe balanced. One of those things is time. I wondered when the maintenance people would show up to fit our pharmacy with the powerful rockets that would enable us to calmly fill prescriptions, taking all the necessary and prudent precautions to make sure it is done right, while altering the timespace continuum to make it appear to you it was never done in more than a quarter of an hour. No matter how many people were in front of you. No matter how many times the phone would ring with someone demanding our immediate attention. No matter the number of times the old lady would come to within 5 feet of me while evaluating your drug interaction report to ask me if the Swiffer could be used on a hardwood floor. Once maintenance installed the rockets, none of this would matter.

Then I remembered that Einstein's plan actually made it possible to travel to the future, meaning 15 minutes of your time on the rocket ship would translate to maybe an hour in the rest of the universe. This would make the prescription filling process even slower, and I realized all that the 15 minute guarantee really meant is that you got a five-dollar gift card if you bitched that I took too long. Then I realized the five dollars wasn't my money and never thought of the 15 minute guarantee again.

Until today, when I finally noticed all the 15 minute guarantee signs had been quietly taken down. The store manager said this had been done long ago and that a 15 minute "pledge" was soon to come. A pledge is like a guarantee except you don't get paid. Which means I care even less about it. I moved on to matters more important.

I heard my Supertech ask a customer what their phone number was. "Yes" was the reply. It was gonna be a highlights kinda day.

The next customer asked me if I got to go home soon. It was 9:30 in the morning. Yup. Some days have highlights written all over them.

I got a report that the Pharmacy Manager was recording video of the store's management team not working hard enough to suit her using her cell phone. I wondered if maybe she had invented some sort of reverse speed of light backwards time thruster that gave her enough minutes to do this type of thing. Because I've got more than enough shit to worry about in the happy pill room without going around getting all Dick Tracy on the people up front. I was snapped out of this train of thought by the customer waving a bottle in front of my face asking if she could take this if she were pregnant. The bottle contained prenatal vitamins.

Shortly thereafter a man asked if he could use a thermometer to take his temperature and then put it back on the shelf and another person came to the counter with a parrot on their shoulder and bird shit all over their shirt. He asked if he could borrow the phone and I handed it to him. I asked what number he needed to dial and he said he didn't know in a tone of voice that indicated I should. This kind of thing doesn't even phase me anymore. Twenty years in the profession has made me numb to a man covered in birdshit who expects me to read his mind. Pharmacy students make of that what you will.

A man not covered in fecal material tried to talk me into giving him a Vicodin refill early by saying, "I gotta be honest, I just like taking it." Part of me appreciated this so much he almost got it.

The rest of the day flew by and towards the end I finally got a chance to look at the faxes that had been zapped from the corporate mothership that morning. Among them was one that contained only two things, my name, and a "0%" next to it. I really sucked at something. Perhaps this is the latest craze among the MBA's, motivating your people by making sure they have no idea how you are evaluating them. Or maybe the rest of the fax is on that rocket ship, gleefully whizzing by supernovas and giant planets at twice that magical speed of light, to be delivered sometime in the distant future. Out in space where I longed to be.

Perhaps if I read the work of Einstein in more depth, it will contain my answer. I plan on starting right now. 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! You beat my customer service rating of 6%. Must be that lack of psychic powers to deduce what phone number birdman needs....

Emma said...

To be fair to the pregnant lady, the bottle is probably labeled with a disclaimer "If pregnant, please discuss the use of this medication with your doctor or pharmacist". We live in that kind of world.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making me laugh, Drugmonkey! Your blog is the BEST!

Anonymous said...

My favorite is when the person that's picking up the rx for a family member gives their own name instead of the patient's. And then it takes two techs (if you're lucky enough to have two) a good 5 minutes to figure out why a rx doesn't exist.

Mike said...

0% patient compassion. Way to go DM!

Sardonic_sob said...

I have a friend who is an actual nuclear physicist who occasionally emails me things like, "I think I broke causality."

I usually get a second email the next day along the lines of, "Whoops! Didn't carry the two."

One of these times, I won't get that second email. I'm not sure if I'm excited about that or not.

Anonymous said...

What irritates me is the nasty obsession I've picked up in the pharmacy world about getting things done correctly and on time. (At least at work, anyway.)

I used to be more interested in people and life and opportunity and more favorable outcomes. There was a time when pharmaceutical elegance was a commendable undertaking, mixing flavoring agents to evoke a spring day, and pitching the low-modulated tones to the exact decibel frequency necessary to speak to the old geezer being counseled who'd forgotten to put in his hearing aid and not broadcast the event to the person behind him, in a careful blend of headbobs, gibberish, and white-noise. It's gotten so bad I look for misspellings of words like 'elixir' and 'separate' and 'agitate' by anyone representing a dude with a college education, and spend inordinate amounts of time looking up from my bed try to turn the three planes of the ceiling corners outside in, wondering if it will even faze me when I am phased out.

Anonymous said...

the pregnant woman who doesn't know prenatal vitamins are safe to take because they are labeled prenatal vitamins is the same woman who puts her oral contraceptives in her vagina and wonders why she got pregnant.

Anonymous said...

lousy customer surveys. The reason for having those is so that fast food franchises are all working at or above expectations, not so that some ignorant arrogant person can bully pharmacy staff in to breaking laws. It is also a favored move by people who refuse to take any responsibility for picking up order within 2 weeks of being filled. Nothing says awesome like berating the tech for a return to stock that sat in the bins for nearly 3 weeks.

Anonymous said...

Is only our profession this lousy in this world? Thank you Mr.DrugMonkey. I can laugh at my bad dayS or Weeks or months or years at work because of your writing. Misery loves company.

bcmigal said...

as usual, you said it better than anyone else! Thanks!
I hear we are going to have a "rudeness" chart and 0% will be the best score!

Lilacverbena said...

I love you. Your pain results in our joy. I'm not sure if that is good. ...

Anonymous said...

15 minute guarantee? Let me guess, you work for Rite Aid too don't you?