Thursday, February 17, 2011

Highlights From Pill Slinging On The Day Of Love.

Although I've never needed it, yet, I took comfort in noticing the liquor store opened at 8 in the morning. I sat in the drive through at Jack In The Box, and waited for my extreme sausage biscuit, and saw the old man with the scraggly beard leave the store across the street with a brown bottle bag tucked under his arm and felt much the same way a trapeze artist must feel when they look down and see a safety net far below them. Getting some extreme sausage in the morning before a twelve hour day has been a ritual of mine for well over half a decade now, but it was only today I noticed the liquor store across the street opens at 8 AM. Comforting as it is, I don't think it's a good sign.

I put the sausage in my stomach and slowly strode forth across the parking lot to face the day. Halfway to the front door a midget woman flagged me down. Not really a midget I guess, but pretty damn short.

"Excuse please.....can you help? I park but afraid to put in reverse."

That was the condensed version. Her actual communication took far longer. Her car wasn't quite lined up with the parking space but she didn't want to back up. She actually did seem afraid. Did I park her car for her because I have a desire to help my fellow humans or because I have the alcoholic child's pathological desire to please people at all costs? As I struggled to wrest myself from the front seat that was set for a person a good foot and a half shorter than me, I couldn't help but to think it was the latter. Afterwards she hugged me, which added insult to injury.

Once inside the pill garden I noticed a little pin doohicky had fallen out from the handle used to crank the pharmacy gate open. It's half an inch long and it's impossible to raise the gate without it. For some reason I went to the hardware section of the store and McGuyvered a solution instead of standing around and staring at where the pin used to be like everyone else. The district office called to let me know how much they appreciated the type of employee who can think on their feet like that and save them the time and expense of a service call.

BWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAAHAHHHHHAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAA!!!!!!! Oh God I kill me. Anyone who believed that last sentence has never worked retail a day in their lives.

The first customer of the day payed for an 8 dollar prescription with a hundred dollar bill and the second wanted to know if her prescription was ready yet. "The machine said I could pick it up after noon" she said. It was 9:15. Yeah, knowing I could walk right out the front door and buy a bottle of gin at this hour definitely made it more tolerable.

At the mid-morning mark I was presented with a prescription for Nuvigil, a stimulant used to keep people awake, and temazepam, a sleep aid, both with instructions to take one in the morning. I wondered if the purpose was to let them fight it out to see who'd win. I looked up and saw what looked like a 17 year old kid carrying a heart shaped box of copro-pharmacy chocolates and wondered if that was really gonna get him laid as I sat on hold with the doctor's office.

At the mid-afternoon mark I decided I would invent a new type of prescription vial. My revolutionary device would let the patient see all the way to the bottom, which will allow them to be fully aware of when they are getting low on their prescription and therefore able to call a few days ahead of time to have it ready, instead of the current system, in which 80% of non-Vicodin patients seem to be totally unaware of when they have taken their last tablet. Coupled with my other idea, a ground-breaking new prescription label that would clearly state when there are no refills left, patients will now have all the information they need to competently manage their prescription affairs. I mean.....no one but a complete dumbass would let their prescription run totally out if they could clearly see there were no tablets left to take and no refills remaining.

BWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAHAHHHHHAAAAAHHHHAAAA!!!!!! Seriously, I really do kill me. Where's the gin?

The second and last time I was required to perform a professional function on Valentine's Day was when I explained to a woman why her doctor discontinued her potassium prescription when he switched her blood pressure med to lisinopril. I was interrupted twice while doing this. Once by a man who wanted to know where the bathroom was and again by a lady who wanted to find the bendable straws. Potassium lady eventually accepted my explanation, but didn't seem nearly as grateful for it as the lady who had me park her car.

I ended the day wondering how much I could make as a valet, but secure in the knowledge that I had to make it to the liquor store by eleven. I've known the closing time of the liquor store for years.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many 12 hour days a week do you work? How accurate is your pill count after 40 or 50 hours? Lot of stress for you - too much ??
You might get to hate your customers !

Zach L said...

I feel bad laughing at that post. Glad I'm going into EM and not pharmacy... oh wait.

How do we get people like you elevated enough to write legislation and be heard?

The Ole' Apothecary said...

I am unfamiliar with the three choices you have for a pharmacy theme song, but, for that honor, I do want to nominate Elton John's 1969 song, "The Cage." The song can be found on Mr. John's first album, entitled simply "Elton John." The lyrics to the song are as follows:

Have you ever lived in a cage
Where you live to be whipped and be tamed?
For I've never loved in a cage,
Or talked to a friend or just waved.

Well I walk while they talk about virtue,
Just raised on my back legs and snarled.
Watched you kiss your old daddy with passion,
And tell dirty jokes as he died

But I'm damned when I really care there
For the cellar's the room in your lives,
Where you lace yourself with bad whiskey,
And close the cage doors on your life

Well I pray while you bathe in bad water,
Sing songs that I learnt as a boy,
Then breaks all the bones in my body,
On the bars you can never destroy.

Anonymous said...

Depressing.

Brett said...

Yea, I have broke a couple of those pins while opening gates at 8 AM in the pharmacy I intern at. We called the DM about getting a new one... he ignored our question and asked about wellness cards...

Anonymous said...

How about "despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage" But seriously folks..some advice..esp. the young men. You are wasting your lives for money. Settle in for two hard years. Live like a church mouse. Pound those loans. Stick your head up in two years and survey the terrain. If it hasn't changed radically...GET OUT. Anything unclear?

Horst Wessel

DKLA said...

I can identify the customers that don't take care of their prescriptions (it's scary that I keep a mental list of the trouble makers), and ultimately blame us for their lack of planning.

Actually had a guy cuss at me since he ran out of his ferrous sulfate tabs. Told the ass I can fax the doctor that he doesn't want to fill at my pharmacy, and he shut his sphincter up.

All was well, until someone asked where the bathroom was.

Anonymous said...

I'm furious! I sent 15 bucks on your book and it's now selling for.... $10.79!?!?! I wish to avail myself of the drug monkey price guarantee... Please refund my four hundred and twenty-one pennies immediately. Alternately, I will accept a credit toward volume two...

ThatDeborahGirl said...

My mom gets a prescription for oxycontin. Let's say it's friday and she sees she is about to run out in a week or so.

After the weekend, she calls her doctor who is not in on Mondays.

She calls her doctor who is only in a half day on Tuesdays. She picked the wrong half to call.

She calls on Wednesday and is told he will be definitely in tomorrow. She's welcome to come over and wait for the prescription but they have no idea how long it will take for him to be able to get to her.

She calls again on Thursday to see if he can just call it in - she's having a bad pain day - but of course he is not allowed to phone in the prescription. It must be picked up at the doctor's office. It must be dropped off at the pharmacy. It cannot be filled even a day early.

So either she must drag out her hoveround, put it on the lift on the back of her Lincoln. Take it off it again to go in the doctor's office. Put it back on again when leaving the doctor's office.

Maybe they have the prescription ready. Maybe they don't.

Or maybe to prevent the whole hoveround business I explain to my boss why I'm going to take a two hour lunch or leave two hours early to go across town to pick up my mother's prescription.

Fortunately she has a mother too and doesn't even blink or dock me.

I haven't always been so lucky with bosses.

And maybe the prescription is ready and maybe it's not. Maybe it's ready but the nurse sitting at the front desk refuses to interrupt the doctor for even a second and I sit there for 4 hours until he's finally "free" to sign his name and, after I sign for the prescription so that they absolutely know who stole it if it comes up missing, I am finally free to take the damn thing to Walgreens.

Where, thanks to my good friend Drug Monkey, I have learned to be infinitely patient at the pharmacy. Except I'm not patient with the asshole tech who makes a game of refusing to tell me how many prescriptions I'm picking up in addition to the one I dropped off before I verify my address.

Meanwhile, my mom took her last pill this morning and is well beyond missing her afternoon meds and despite a baclofen pump and spare vicodin or two, having MS is hell and she's really waiting for me to get home with that oxycontin.

I'll be there soon mom.

But I feel your pain DM. You know I do.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Deborah,

There's no law that says Oxycontin can't be filled a day early. Most insurance companies will pay for a med when 75% of the previous Rx's day's supply has passed. After that it's solely at the discretion of the pharmacist. If someone was a regular customer at my store and I knew their Mom was a little old lady in MS hell, I would have zero problem with filling it a little early. You're going to the wrong pharmacy my dear. Those Walgreen's drive throughs aren't nearly as convenient as they appear.

A tip on finding a new one. Search the yellow pages or some other info source for a "compounding pharmacy"

"Why would I do that Drugmonkey?" you may be saying to yourself "there isn't any compounding involved in my mother's pain meds" and you would be correct.

But...a compounding pharmacy generally will make almost all their money doing things like ripping off cougars who think "bioidentical" estrogens are safer than what is peddled by Big Pharma (they are not), meaning whatever they make filling traditional prescriptions is just gravy for them, meaning they don't kill themselves in a desperate grab for each and every prescription they can find, and can afford to staff their stores so that it doesn't take 8 hours to dispense 60 tablets.

They probably won't have a drive through, but chances are you'll probably come out way ahead time-wise.

Just don't let them sucker you into the bullshit estrogen.