Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Last Week I Discovered My Inner Divinity

I never realized until last week just how much I had in common with Jesus.

I've written before about the dramatic tension that has gripped the happy pill room. What should have been a 10-minute problem has gone on for the better part of a couple months now. Personalities have clashed. Feelings have been hurt and egos wounded. I won't assign any blame other than to say that when the Pharmacy Manager leaves the problem leaves with her. The Pharmacy Manager took some time off last week, which meant the tension that gripped the pharmacy melted away like the fog giving way to life-affirming sunshine.

Sadly, this return of levity and happiness came at a great personal cost to myself, as no relief pharmacist was found to cover the manager's shifts. I took the burden of my world upon me then, sacrificing my body to make my environment a better place for all that inhabit it. Selflessly giving myself so that others may live in peace. Just like Jesus.

I also heal the sick. I bet if I ever meet Jesus we'll have a lot to talk about.

I'd probably ask Jesus what was up with the showgirl that was in the store Thursday. I'm not kidding. A woman in total Las Vegas feathery boob and crotch covering walked into the back room and was promptly marched right back out by the assistant manager. I long to know the story of the showgirl in my store and I bet Jesus could tell me.

One thing Jesus probably couldn't do though, is figure out our system router had lost power the way I did when our computers started acting all screwy for no apparent reason. There's not a lot in the Bible about Jesus being a technophile, so I could probably teach Jesus a thing or two. I hope he's not the kind of guy that would rope me into upgrading his computer to Windows Vista though, because I'd probably feel obligated to so I wouldn't be eternally dammed.

People pray to me though, just like Jesus. They beg for early Vicodin and for faxes to come through from their doctor's office. They pray for prior auth approvals and lower co-pays. Sometimes, when they pray for something they already have coming to them, I go ahead and grant their request, in order to enhance my omnipotent image. Most prayers directed to me go unanswered though, just like if you were directing them to Jesus.

I'll never ask you to eat my body or drink my blood though. That's just gross.

Nurses pray to me too. "I hope this is right" said one immediately before she began to phone in a prescription. I kinda hoped it was right too. I was nearing the end of my streak of twelve hour days and it would be much easier on my tired mind and body if the prescription were right. Not to mention my liability insurance.

Right after that came the French prescription. The French prescription was my crown of thorns. The words were in French, a language which is not English, because the prescription itself was written in France, a country that is not the United States. It was dropped off by a Frenchman who upon landing here had to go though a procedure where a person in an official looking uniform inspected him and his belongings before he was allowed to continue. This happens because different countries have, by definition, different laws regarding nearly everything, not the least of which being business and commerce. This point was lost on the Frenchman, who had no idea why I could not fill a prescription written in a language I do not understand. The Frenchman pressed the crown onto my head over the course of a vigorous debate over the conduction of cross-continental healthcare and when he was done I found a cup of coffee placed next to my computer by my trusty technician, who smiled and then went on about her work like nothing ever happened.

I have the best staff in the world. Neither Jesus nor the Pharmacy Manager better ever try to fuck with them.

10 comments:

Pharmer Mike said...

LOL. Being in Florida, I certainly can feel your pain as I have seen my share of foreign scripts. Generally, they are written in Spanish (shocker!). The true test of my wits is ironically caused by my own employer. Since the "pharmacy America trusts" has locations in Puerto Rico, patients are able to transfer scripts right to our store for pick up. Well, in order to fill it, ya' need to verify it. I always love that feeling you get in your stomach as you think "Geez, I sure hope that other pharmacist knew what the hell they were doing because I can't read a word of this!"... as the computer inserts your initials into the record. ¡Oh día feliz!

Necandum said...

You're also hugely entertaining and real. Now if only you could get on that eternal life business, eh?

Anonymous said...

Women!!!!!!!! I have so much drama at my store too.. it's cause I work with about 8 women technicians... and man do they go at it

Anonymous said...

Hi DrugMonkey,
I just bought the Kindle version of your book, loving it so far! I loved that I only had to search "pharmacist" and your book was second on the search results!! Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

OH, rats! I stumbled upon your blog, drunkmonkey (oops, one of those weird typos my fingers type by themselves while I'm thinking of other words)...um, oh, right: I stumbled upon your blog because I had wasted enough of my day on the NYT crossword and Googled "Nuprin" to find out what kind of drug it was, and, catastrophically, I chose the link to your entry on how Nuprin changed your life. So now I am HOOKED and have wasted at least as much time reading back entries & sending URLs to my friends. Dammit. I bookmarked you.

Cruising MoonShine said...

Hey, what happened to all the reviews on Amazon? Censorship?
Also, I'd love to get your blog on my kindle. Can you hook us up?

Anonymous said...

Don't blame it on women I work in a store full of men and they backstab, whine, and complain to the boss about each other as much as any group of women I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Was your coffee "French roast"?

Anonymous said...

Strangely enough, we actually had an Rx from Holland faxed in to us, last week, written in Dutch, with no qty and the patient expecting us to fill it with no problems. Definitely a first.

Pharmer451 said...

Pharmer Mike - I loved trying to get the copy a year back from "the pharmacy America trusts", however my knowledge of the Cyrillic alphabet was quite... non-existent!
DM - Keep on keepin' on - love the stories and views. If we couldn't laugh at some of our days, we'd turn into disgruntled postal workers with concealed carry permits.