Thursday, February 11, 2010

His Was Not To Question Why.....

He struggled to get the proper grip around the Xanax. He wasn't sure if he could handle it. He wasn't sure he wanted to handle it. But the Xanax was there And there were needs for the Xanax.

Upward he went. Higher and higher. Above and away from the day to day minutia of the world, thinking only of the Xanax. How did it come to this point? Why was he doing this? The Xanax seemed to weigh him down as if he were carrying the entire universe beneath him. He thought about letting go and drifting towards the light.

He loved the light, but instead he beat his wings a little harder and carried on. He hoped a bat did not get him.

After what seemed like five eternities he was able to let go. To release himself from the burdens the Xanax had put upon him. He dropped it into the warm, wet cavern of darkness where it belonged and tried not to be overwhelmed by the stench of the person's recently eaten dinner. Garlic.....he was thankful he was not a vampire. Mission accomplished, the Xanax released, he went off to flutter towards the light, for he had earned it.

Two more times and he could call it a day.

At least that's how I imagined it as I looked at the label from my local CVS and its instructions: to "Take 1 tablet by moth three times a day" That's actually not too bad for those guys.

I dialed the phone to begin the transfer and settled in for what I knew would be a long wait.  

10 comments:

jin said...

Haahahaa! You're brilliant- you know that right? Of course you do. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ha. Ha. Ha. Yikes.

Anonymous said...

There is a pharmacist, who used to work at my CVS, who would regularly type "ass needed"

Unknown said...

I know how you can escape your profession- write!

The Redheaded Pharmacist said...

I remember a customer coming up to me recently with a bottle from CVS he wanted to transfer and fill at the store I was working at that day. He asked me how long it would take after he filled out the new customer information sheet and I told him "give us at least an hour" and when he asked why it was going to take so long I told him I had to call the CVS for the prescription information so we could fill it.
He then says to me "oh ok, I'll give you two hours then" lol. I guess he had tried to call that CVS himself before and he knew what we went through trying to call over there.

midwest woman said...

I think I need a script for Detrol after reading this....I'm stil laughing.

Anonymous said...

I have a dispenser who regularly types ONE to be taken DIALLY. I stopped smiling at it a while ago though, as well as her jokes that she is part australian.

harpy said...

i <3 you. my new fave blog

Anonymous said...

This is what you get when you sponsor 3,600 H1b visa "pharmacists" in 7 years...

Anonymous said...

Anon (10:48): most times I notice when words are mispelled is when the pharmacy tech is rushing too quickly, and the business is moving along too fast for the pharmacist to correct a spelling error. The 3,600 H1b visa issue usually doesn't come up when there is a shortage of pharmacists already. It sometimes comes up when pharmacists don't keep up educational levels (for whatever reason--and overwork is a valid reason). Fears emerge of being passed over for raises, transferred, or worse, among other anxieties in a destabilized job atmosphere.