Thursday, October 08, 2009

Nancy Pelosi Singlehandedly Destroys Any Chance Of Healthcare Reform In Our Lifetime.

From this morning's LA Times:

Surrounded by supporters, Hilda Sarkisyan marched into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco office on a chilly fall day. As an almost year-long debate over remaking the nation's health care system heads towards the finish line, Hilda wanted to speak with someone in her Congressional Representative's office about the issue.

"I am completely opposed to any more involvement of government in our healthcare, and I want to make sure Nancy Pelosi knows this." said Ms. Sarkisyan. "For me the issue is more than an academic debate. My daughter is very sick, and may need a liver transplant soon, and I can't imagine fighting with an uncaring government run bureaucracy while my daughter fights for her life. I just want to speak with someone to tell them, please stay out of our healthcare."

What she got was something quite different.

Staff members of Pelosi, looking down into the atrium lobby from a balcony above, began heckling her, she said, with one of them giving her "the finger."

Sarkisyan walked out, stunned and hurt.

"They showed me their true colors," she said. "Shame on them."

About a month after the incident, the Sarkisyans received a letter of apology from Pelosi.

"I was very disappointed to learn of the behavior of one of our staff members when you were at my District Office," wrote Ms. Pelosi. "I sincerely regret this individual's offensive and inappropriate action," she continued. "Please know that he did not represent my views or the views of other members of Congress."

Great. That's just fucking great. Can you imagine what the right-wing fucktards like Glenn Beck are gonna do with this? Crap, maybe they're right. If this is how they're gonna treat a mother worried about the health of her critically ill child, maybe these cold hearted government bureaucrats have no business being involved in health care.

Actually, they're definitely right. If you're going to heckle and flip off mothers of seriously ill children, you have no business in the healthcare system. I think most of us can agree on that. Right?

Right?

I just tricked you. Kind of. Substitute "Cigna" for "Nancy Pelosi" and you'll have the real story about what happened.

Oh. And I changed one detail as well. The mother wasn't worried about her seriously ill daughter. She was grieving for her daughter. Who died after Cigna denied coverage for a liver transplant, then changed their minds after intense public pressure a few hours before she passed away.

Just in case you're not quite following me here I'll repeat myself.

Employees of Cigna heckled and flipped off the mother of a dead child who came to talk to them about why she was jacked around when she supposedly had insurance.

If you're going to heckle and flip off mothers of dead children, you have no business in the healthcare system. I think most of us can agree on that. Right?

Right?

The olive in the martini was the last line in the "apology" letter Sarkisyan received from Cigna after the incident:

We deeply empathize with you and wish you peace and comfort in your loss.

"Because empathy and wishes of peace and comfort don't cost us anything" the letter didn't add, but easily could have.


7 comments:

Pharmacy Mike said...

I'm going to point this story out to everyone who ever gives me that moronic line, "I don't want some bureaucrat deciding if my child can get treatment!"

This shit needs to end. People need to be outraged about this.

By the way... If you didn't happen to catch Keith Olbermann's Coutdown episode where he devoted an entire show to a "special comment" about health care, you should watch it. You get the feeling if someone in Congress would speak like him, things would change.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/vp/33217219#33217219

There's several parts of it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Monkey. Thanks so much for making me aware of this story. I'm a CPhT, and every day I see the disaster that health insurance is. I am one of only a few Democrats in my family, and am pelted daily with right-wing agenda emails. I think I'll send this story to everyone on my email list!
Thanks for your excellent blog! I really enjoy every new post, though none so much as "Why Your Prescription Takes So Damn Long To Fill," a work of genius. I think it ought to be required reading for all pharmacy customers!

Jessica said...

I feel like the world is exploding with reactionary stupidity.

How can I begin to trust my fellow Americans again? Or anyone, really? It seems like the best plan would be to go to medical school, then become a hermit way out in Montana or Idaho. If I get sick, I treat myself, and if I get really sick, I just die. That way there's no government or private health care plan involved, and the outcome is the same either way.

Or maybe I just need to take another klonopin.

Anonymous said...

Hey, hey, hey...when Pres. Obama was elected, I felt as the old shot of I.M. Zyprexa had been administered to lift us out of a catatonic state. Side-effects are still a .. Anyone that started out with a little commonsense simply has to eventually come around to realize that it's simply not in the interest of an average person to keep listening to those that screech the loudest. (Ever notice that the louder the voice, the emptier the brain? Maybe, or maybe not, but definitely true that the act of repeating oneself over and over very seldom changes facts.)

Randall Sexton said...

I worked for CIGNA for one year...may they burn in whatever hell there is....

Madam Z said...

Regarding the Cigna logo, you accidentally cut off the bottom part. It should read:

CIGNA
A Business of Caring
About Our Bottom Line

Shalom said...

@Anon 1:43, regarding loud voices:

"It is with narrow-souled people as with narrow-necked bottles: the less they have in them, the more noise they make in pouring it out." -- Alexander Pope, 1688-1744