Thursday, March 31, 2005

"How Else Am I Gonna Take It?"

I sympathized with the question, as label directions that read "Take 1 tablet by mouth three times a day" do seem to excessively basic to most people. I wish I would have had a time machine in the store at that moment though, as I would have whisked the gentleman accusing me of insulting his intelligence back to when I was an intern and introduced him to a lady who came to the counter to complain that the antibiotic she had bought the other day wasn't working for her child, and also to ask how she was supposed to get all this pink stuff out of her kid's ear. You see, the antibiotic was a liquid.....a pink liquid. And since the directions had told her to give a teaspoonful three times a day, and the infection was in the child's ear......yup.....you've probably figured out the rest.

We also make it a point to make sure the word "unwrap" is in the directions of any suppository prescription.

2 comments:

Woden said...

True story, we've had a patient complain about the taste of suppositories. And that was with a "FOR RECTAL USE ONLY" sticker on it, and the "Insert 1 suppository rectally..." directions on the label.

Sometimes, I really wonder how these people manage not to kill themselves just getting dressed in the morning...

Mama Dobble said...

"Caution: Hot Coffee!"