Thursday, April 16, 2015

The Potential Posts Are So Many, The Time Is So Short.

So I just got back from Hawaii. Which is awesome. I cannot change the fact some colonial imperialist stole the place awhile back so I might as well take advantage. You should too.

Many things going on in the world of pills while i was away evidently. If I don't write soon about me calling bullshit on APhA and the spawn of Lloyd Duplantis of Gray, Louisiana again rearing their ugly heads please start prodding me to do so. For now though I only have time for this quickie. This is the actual first sentence of an actual story that appeared in The Wall Street Journal I was perusing  through on the flight home:

Exxon Mobil Corp Chief executive Rex Tillerson received total compensation valued at $33 million last year, up 18% from $28 million given in 2013. 

 Hold on though, 'cause you don't get the whole picture until you read the last sentence:

In February, Irving, Texas-based Exxon Mobil, the largest and richest U.S. oil company reported that its quarterly profit dropped 21% as production declined. 

Read that first and last sentence again. Do it.

And so it goes my friends. Sigh......

3 comments:

Indypendent said...

As a disenchanted retail pharmacist (talk about being redundant), your blog makes me laugh so I read it from time to time.

But I have to call BS on this post implying that the 21% drop in profit was because of the 18% increase in the CEO's salary.

The CEO's salary was an 18% increase to $33 million from $28 million. Their first quarter earnings were over $4 billion, so a 21% drop in profit would have equated to around $720 million dollars.

To imply that a $5 million bump in salary for the CEO is to blame for a decrease of $720 million in profits is either reactionary or dishonest - take your pick!

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Your comment puts me in a quandary, Indy, as normally anyone who sent me those combination of words would be in for the wrath of the Drugmonkey, blatantly insulted and humiliated in the cruelest way I could think of.

But you seem like a nice person, and you did have enough sense to escape the chains, unlike so many in my profession.

So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say it was your time as a slave behind the counter that affected your reading comprehension so. Because, the point I was making here in a way that I hoped anyone of average intelligence could pick up on was that it was wrong for the CEO to get rewarded with a fat raise when profits, which is the objective of any CEO, were down.

His pay went up when his performance went down. Nowhere do I say that profits went down BECAUSE his pay went up. It was wrong for him to be rewarded when his numbers sucked. THAT was the point.

Next time please pretend you are a Republican and/or a chain pharmacy CEO so I will be free to say what I really think.

Thanks for playing.

Lia said...

You were in Hawaii!?! I would've wanted to meet you so I could ask for an autograph on my copy of your book!