Thursday, June 09, 2011

Highlights From Friday's Pill Counting Action.

"Yes.....I'm calling about the pills I got from the pharmacy.....it's really serious. They made my penis like 10 inches long and 6 inches wide and I just had sex with my wife and she's crying and it gets in my way when I'm working out and...

Uuuuuuhhhhhhhh!!!!....sorry...masturbating....

....anyway my friends like to pet it all the time and .....

Uuuuuuhhhhhhhhh....masturbating again.....

....anyway I just wanted to thank you ....and tomorrow I'll be in to get some more. I'll be the one winking at you."

I wish I had a way of recording the voicemail. I know you'd appreciate it. The timing and delivery of the message actually took a little effort and talent, unlike so many other prank callers who get nervous and end up just rushing through it. I hung up thinking now that the slightly entertaining prank call barrier has been broken, perhaps someday I will get a halfway decent hate mail.

A clerk walked by on her way to the back and I overheeard her saying to a customer "Did you ever try to eat animal food when you were little? I used to all the time."

Yeah, it was definitely gonna be a highlights kinda day.

The morning was pretty much quiet except for the lady with the Cymbalta coupon card who raised holy hell when she was told it had expired. She whined and cried and bitched and moaned as if we were asking her to sacrifice her first born child. The situation was unjust, unfair, uncalled for and maybe even dangerous to her mental health. Despite this insult to her dignity, she would have her prescription filled, under protest mind you, and have it billed to her regular insurance.

Her copay was $0. That did nothing to change her perception of things.

On my way back from lunch I saw a man back into a woman's car and both of them get out to inspect the damage. The man declared to the lady whose car he just hit that  "you're not worth my time" and just drove off. It made me a little glad to know I'm not the only one who has to deal with assholes. It made me more glad to hand the lady the assholes license plate number. One of the nice things about pretending like I'm a real writer is that I always have a scratch pad and paper handy.

By the way, you read that correctly all you non-California retail pharmacists. I witnessed the accident on my way back from lunch. California pharmacists are required to have a lunch break thanks to a battle fought by the United Food and Commercial Workers union years ago. If you're not in California maybe you should give the UFCW a call. Unless you're on some starvation weight loss diet or something.

I was washing up before going back into the fray and noticed the "site" memo had been replaced again. It hangs in the breakroom and stresses the importance of keeping a clear "line of site" to deter shoplifters. Three times I have taken my ever handy pen, scratched out the error, replaced it with the correct "sight," and three times someone has made the effort to replace the defaced memo without changing the typo. That says it all about my employer really.

I was dealing with a woman who asked me to "go through my profile and delete the ones I'm not taking anymore, I think there are three or four of them" when I saw the little old man shuffle around the corner. He stopped at the endcap, started a little shuffle again, and slowly......slowly.....ever so slowly....leaned over a bit....then a bit more...then a little more...until he just kinda ended up on the floor. I ran out thinking I might have to wing some CPR or something and when I got to him he asked me where the garbage bags were. The little old guy literally shopped till he dropped and when he got there he was still thinking about how to spend his money. That is all American my friend.

The store manager asked me what a Brazilian wax was and  the look on the Assistant's face told me the manager was being pranked. I told the manager it was the gold standard in exterior car care.

My one professional function was to stop a Cipro prescription from being dispensed to a patient stable on warfarin. While I was waiting on hold to clear things up the customer comes to the counter with a bottle of Excedrin. I wanted to shove the Excedrin up this idiot's ass, but that probably would have led to catastrophic rectal bleeding. I remained calm and learned that saving someone's life can be extremely irritating.

I closed out the day by playing the prank voicemail for my supertech, who thought it was a call from a real customer. She started looking through patient's profiles to try to address the emergency. Now I love my supertech, but she obviously has a lot to learn about the ways of America. I went home, and she stayed after work to do some shopping, probably stopping long before she hit the floor.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you got a regular column---you could thank me, I wrote a letter telling them how awesome you are, but I prefer to remain anonymous ;) As for ideas---you always have great ones, you'll do great!

Anonymous said...

Was signing in a tech onto a register so she could ring a customer up when the tech started a conversation about PTs vicodin es Rx...she said yeah I take a few a month n I sell the rest...pays my rent!!! Says all this in front of me!!!! WTF!!!! Was stunned n had to confirm with tech what I heard!! We laughed the rest of the day!! All in a days work in da hood baby!!! Well...will call md tomorrow!!! Lmao.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, lunch is my favorite part of my day!

I used to work for the a certain company, 12 hours and no official lunch break, I usually never ate.

I now work for a new company and get my 30 minutes EVERY day. I use every last second of it. Also my company does this country wide, not just the ones who require it!

Keep up the great work monkey, I loved the entire thing!

Anonymous said...

Our poor pharmacists do not get lunch breaks every day- none on weekends and only on days with overlap.The state I live in is pretty liberal about lunches and breaks but they get screwed. Not right. Funny blog. Love it!

ThatDeborahGirl said...

I hate to say it but one day I will be that little old man...well woman anyway. My last request will probably be for an iced Littel
Debbie's honey bun which will be $5 each by then.

Mildly Irritated Pharmacist said...

The two paragraphs about the Cymbalta lady are the embodiment of the profession of pharmacy.

I too get lunch breaks from my employer, but there's just no escape from the sheer insanity of the public.

Kendra Holliday said...

Someone told me to go read this. I'm so glad I did. You can find assholes everywhere! These pharm blogs are even more entertaining than restaurant blogs. Now I want to go see if there are any mortician blogs. I miss Six Feet Under.

TechTard said...

Kendra, you need to study sociology. You clearly have the curiosity for it. I loved Studs Terkel anthologies. A bit old now, but clear inside views on the lives of workers in all occupations. Every industry has it's own niche of despair and glee, but to recognize the human interactions,similarities,
and aspirations is great.

TechTard said...

and kendra - you somewhat remind me of the female lead in "Fight Club". Just sayin'