Saturday, August 12, 2006

From The Jihad Watch: A Pep Talk For Those Of Us Who Are Living In Dark Times.

Way back when I decided to give birth to this blog, what I had in mind was something like what you'll find at theangrypharmacist.com. Basically I thought it would be a way to keep my writing skills in shape while sharing a wacky customer story or occasional work rant. You may have noticed I digress from that goal from time to time. If you appreciate the difference between me and my angry colleague, you can thank Lloyd DuPlantis Jr. of Gray, Louisiana. Lloyd is also technically a colleague of mine. He also happens to be a Christian fascist who wants to lie in the name of science to further his hatred of women. I still remember the absolute disbelief one morning as I heard Lloyd on National Public Radio for the better part of an hour try to use the credibility of the lab coat to hide his cross. It was like getting hit in the temple. I knew the Christian fascists were out there, I grew up in the Midwest for chrissakes, but I had no idea they were creeping onto MY turf, that the unraveling of 500 years of enlightenment thought and the undoing of the scientific method was coming right to my front door.

I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what I could do. It seemed like all I had was the "it's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" option. So when I got home I wrote a little rant on blogger.com. Just to be safe though, I also cursed the darkness. It seems I wasn't the only one lighting a candle though. Little fires have been burning all over this country, and their heat is starting to catch fire under the ass of the powerful. The people who were put in office in no small part due to the efforts of people who hold purity balls and worry about sex based cults have now done this:

Barr Laboratories, will resubmit its application for over-the-counter sales of the birth control pill, Plan B, within two weeks. A spokeswoman for the Food and Drug Administration, Susan Bro, said the agency would act quickly on the application.

In Connecticut, the voters have served notice to members of what is supposed to be the left of center political party in this country that they can grow a set of testicles or get out of the way. In Pennsylvania and Kansas, storm troopers in the Christian right's war on science have been shown the door. Do you smell that? It's the pants seat of the powerful starting to burn.

I'm reminded of a story I heard once about a message General Dwight Eisenhower sent out to the hundreds of thousands of GI's getting ready to storm the beaches of Normandy on the eve of D-day in World War II. I'm too lazy to look up the exact details, but it was something to the effect that the Nazi's they were about to face weren't the Nazi's who ran the British off the European continent and crushed Poland a few years before. The Nazi war machine had been weakened and was a shell of it's former self, and the job now was to finish them off. I'm reminded because I want to tell all you candle holders out there the modern day Christian fascists aren't the same group that's been handing us our ass on a platter for the last generation. They've been weakened, and it's up to us to finish them off.

Let's go storm the beach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON. If these people cared half as much about the hungry, abused and neglected children who are already in this world as they do about eggs and sperm, we would certainly be better off. Why don't these pharmacists have their licenses revoked?

Unknown said...

It is so sad... So sad that so many of the Christians in the world behave as you have described. Ghandi once said 'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.' And it is unfortunately being proven time and time again in recent years. I am a Christian. I am also a scientist; an engineer to be specific. Your commentary on the recent insanity of the Christian Right with respect to health policy is quite accurate. I have been reading old posts of yours, and am truly mystified as to how someone who has attained the positions they have in our government, or who holds a pharmacy degree, can actually believe any of this hogwash. Sex based cults? Trying to show that HIV was caused by 'effeminate' men created by excess estrogen from birth control? What is wrong with people? Why has maintaining a level of spirituality come to be equivalent to an utter lack of intelligence?