Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Insist On Brand Name Poly-Vi-Flor Or Your Baby Will Be Crazy, Mentally Challenged, Eaten By Their Own White Blood Cells, Then Finished Off By Cancer.

I just saved you the effort of reading the latest fax from Zytera Pharmaceuticals with that headline. Those of you wise enough to already have a copy of my latest book know that Zytera is the company that bought the rights to the Poly-Vi-Flor and Tri-Vi-Flor brand names, and that both products were boring old baby vitamins on the market as long as anyone can remember, only requiring a prescription to make sure your kid wasn't getting too much fluoride, the tooth hardener that turns your teeth to mush when taken in excess.

Anyway, boring old product most doctors still prescribe by name, even though 99.9% of those prescriptions have been filled with a generic for decades, then a new company buys the name. Most of you know where this is going. The old "minor change" trick. The company buys the name, makes a minor change in the formula, and now, all the sudden all those Poly-Vi-Flor prescriptions can no longer be filled with the cheap generic. I'm looking at you Auralgan.

In the case of Poly and Tri-Vi-Flor......Zytera uses a slightly different form of folic acid, one of the B vitamins. The folic acid we eat or take in vitamin supplements, like a gazillion other drugs and food parts, is metabolized into the form your body eventually uses. That is the full time job of your liver. Changing the stuff you eat into the stuff you use. Zytera uses the form of folate that comes out of your liver for the new Poly and Tri-Vi-Flor.

Ho hum.

Not to hear the folks at Zylera tell it though, after the usual blah blah blah about how the new formulations are NOT pharmaceutically equivalent to previous (inexpensive) formulations, this is what today's fax said, word for word:

Recent studies have indicated that 40-75% of the population has a genetic variant called methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase also known as MTHFR that impairs the ability to process folate. This defective gene leads to elevated levels of homocysteine and defective methylation. Defective methylation is associated with psychiatric illnesses, such as schizophrenia, depression and bipolar, as well as autoimmunity disorders, ADD, autism, spina bifida, Down's syndrome, miscarriages, and cancer.

I'm not making this up. Basically a pharmaceutical manufacturer this day sent out a fax to pharmacies around the country that essentially said... HOLY MOTHER OF GOD IF YOU DON'T USE BRAND NAME POLY-VI-FLOR THE BABIES WILL BE CRAZY AND RETARDED AND DEAD!!! THEIR OWN WHITE BLOOD CELLS WILL JOIN UP WITH RAMPAGING CANCER TO EAT THE CHILDREN FROM THE INSIDE!!!!! BE AFRAID BE AFRAID BE AFRAID!!!!!!

I will step back here and remind you we are talking about baby vitamins. Hopefully you won't need me to tell you that 40 to 75% of babies born in the last 40 years have not turned out to be spina bifida wrecked schizophrenics, despite how badly the people at Zylera would like you to believe that. My guess is there's a reason these incredibly irresponsible bullshit claims were made in a fax, and not in the more permanent and traceable form of a postal letter or advertisement.

So thank you Zylera. Before I got this fax the temptation was very strong not to use my limited amount of time behind the counter calling doctors to explain why Poly-Vi-Flor is now bullshit. You can bet your left testicle that whenever I see a prescription for your crap in a bottle from now on though, time will be made.

Fuckers.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Bit confused. So I should stay away from brand name...or insist on brand name. I have a 15 week old whose mother is, in fact, schizophrenic. So I would really like this clarified!

Liz said...

and OMG can we talk about Delzicol??

Anonymous said...

Is this happening with Thyroid medicine too?

My endocrinologist just advised me to start taking a new medication for my hypothyroidism. He's taking me off of Tirosint, and is asking me to choose between Synthroid or Levoxyl. I've been reading about them online, but they both seem pretty much the same to me.

Anonymous said...

Don't doctors have to check a box for dispense as written? Or is that only in Illinois?

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. I remember those doctors that check the box for DAW only. Seems there used to be be a box, too, to grant permission to pharmacists to discuss medications with the patient.

Oh yeah and the trick scripts that have the DAW boxes switched on the paper.

Oh yeah, and the doctors that have free script pads with boxes already checked with DAW.

Oh yeah, and the docs that write DAW on the Lasix scripts for their little old widow pensioner retired from the hospital laundry department.

Oh yeah, I remember now, the docs that are detailed by the hot chick from brand name 'X' telling them that special form of folic acid is the next best thing to prevention of major depressive disorder, just 'DAW'.

Yea, I've been on generic levothyroxine for years. I know when I've not taken my dose, but I also know that my lifestyle career choice as a pharmacist sometimes prevents me from taking the dose on an empty stomach exactly x amount of hours before breakfast and without any interaction of minerals that might possibly ... as well as I know a company that scams as well as the snake-oil elixir company advertising their products of Suprenza, Primlev, Tirosint, NitroMist, and Inderal LA!

Anonymous said...

You do have to admit, though, that this may go a small way towards explaining Congress and Corporate executives.

Pharmacist Bob said...

CVS charges $133 more than Costco for generic drug
Lots of comments at the CNN website regarding this! If they are ripping off their customers, you’ve got to think they are ripping of their employees one way or another.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/03/pf/generic-cost-cvs-costco/index.html?iid=HP_River#comments

brownstavern1802 said...

check this out, why are we so far behind?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/04/01/175916808/patent-ruling-in-india-could-boost-exports-of-cheap-medicine-to-third-world

Anonymous said...

Levothyroxine. Try google 'Betty Dong synthroid' and you will realize that Big Pharma sometimes stoop to attack researchers' professionalism when the results don't show what they had hoped for. Keep in mind, this name was brought up by the pharmacy school instructor I respected the most.

PreNatal Vitamins. Really, I can't stand all the fuss about them, and any prescriber who writes 'brand name medically necessary' on a prenatal vitamin for a Medicaid patient needs a reality check. I am not saying Medicaid patients should not have prenatal vitamins, really they need them more than others, but brand names can run upward of $100/month. The money goes to more stupid advertising about little princes and glittery crowns hanging from the side of a crib and yes, instills the fear of not delivering a little prince, but maybe a two-headed troll with a forked tail unless you take the advertised vitamin.

My own insurance did not cover that and I asked for a simple generic from my ob, one that I could take and my ins would cover. Ahhh, the old generic Citracal prenatal - see, it had docusate in it, and believe it or not, ALL pregnant women are constipated and put on extra IRON to boot. Until I could not get it anymore, that is what all PreNatal Vit (non-specific)RX's, MediCaid, insurance or just cash were filled with. Another benefit: No nasty vitamin burpies, so really, benefit all around since there were no reason NOT to take them.

Ronald Lavine, D.C. said...

This is an interesting development. I do recommend that my patients take folate supplements in the most likely to be bioavailable form 5-MTHF. But that doesn't mean that everyone needs the fancy-schmancy version. And it certainly doesn't mean that all those prescriptions written by MDs are based on having performed genomic testing on the babies to determine their specific folate needs.

Amy said...

Wow. Just, wow.

Of course, there's absolutely no reason at all for the overwhelming majority of babies to be taking any of these things, name brand or generic. Formula fed babies generally get this same mix of vitamins in their formula. Breastfed babies generally don't need any vitamins at all, with the exception of vitamin D in some cases. That need is better met with a D-only supplement, which is inexpensive and available over the counter.

Eliza said...

Hey, I just found your blog and I'm not familiar with anything past just picking my Rx's up pharmacy wise...I saw you mention Acanya in another post and the "drug savings cards" in a dismissive way and I want to know what's up with that since I've been prescribed it by my dermatologist along with an antibiotic for mild acne. The acanya was like 500 bucks for a bottle but with the card was like $75 and the antibiotic was about $75 as well...is my derm getting some benefit from prescribing this $$$ stuff when cheaper stuff would do? FWIW the Acanya does seem to work better than clearisil for breakouts.

Oh, and I use latisse(I'm half asian and have like no eyelashes)...since it's the same as the cheaper glaucoma drug how can I get my Dr. to prescribe the cheap one when I don't have glaucoma? I don't think Dr.'s are even allowed to do that? :(

yamiblue990 said...

would you please do a post about the scam of delzicol being brought out right before asacol would have gone generic? i'd appreciate hearing any opinion you have and seeing what a pharmacist thinks of the changes instead of the sheeple drs.