Monday, February 02, 2009

I Decide It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Drug Topics Darkness. Drug Topics Blows Out My Flame.

I've abused Drug Topics, the leading pharmacy trade magazine, here in my blog garden more than a few times now, and like I've said before, the only reason I do is because they suck. The writing is sub-par, the topics less relevant to actual practicing pharmacists with each passing year. You may be shocked to hear this, but there was a time when I took Drug Topics home with me to read after work. That time is long gone. The only thing Drug Topics gets these days is a quick glance through to see if I can find any mockable potential blog material. I usually do. 

Now you all know Jim Plagakis is the exception that proves the rule. Jim is an outstanding writer and by all indications a stand-up guy. Drug Topics could save a lot of time and expense by just mailing out Jim's column and sparing us the rest of the magazine. 

I'm looking to eliminate negativity from my life though. Instead of just sitting around bitching, I thought awhile back, why don't I look for a way to help? I went to the Drug Topics website and found this under "Author Guidelines": 


"Viewpoint,"... consists of guest editorials written by pharmacists who have strong views on a given pharmacy-related subject. These commentaries should be 750-1,000 words long, and should be accompanied by a photo of the author


Hmmmmm.....well.....I have been known to have strong views on subjects from time to time, and I certainly should be able to string together 750 words. Gosh darn it, I'll do it!! Drug Topics, I'm here to help!!

I submitted a piece on January 3rd. And have heard absolutely nothing back. So much for that. Instead of using the term "rejection" though, I prefer to think of it as "The article too hot for Drug Topics to handle." Here it is:


I’m going to start by going out on a limb here. I’m going to say that the magazine you are holding in your hands right now is full of images of smiling, happy, pharmacists calmly serving happy, smiling patients. Probably as part of an article about how we can help patients manage their lives with diabetes or maybe make ten dollars by telling people to quit smoking. Why can I say this? Because almost every pharmacy magazine I have seen since the day I entered pharmacy school has covered some sort of story like this, with pictures of happy, calm, pharmacists and happy, calm, patients, in almost every issue they have printed. They are doing the profession a disservice.

Did you have a happy, calm day at work today?

Put down this magazine and take a look around the pharmacy blogosphere, where actual working pharmacists speak their mind every day without fear of rocking the boat or upsetting advertisers. What you’ll find is a plethora of blogs with names such as “The Angry Pharmacist”, “The Angriest Pharmacist”, or “Your Pharmacist May Hate You” You won’t find many pictures of smiles or serenity, or much talk about the latest ideas to implement Medication Therapy Management. At the point where the rubber meets the road, or rather, where the pharmacist meets the patient, pharmacy is a powder keg ready to explode, and everyone reading this magazine knows it, even if this magazine never bothers to mention it.

Something needs to change, and we can start by stopping the OBRA charade. I have no doubt that any pharmacist worth the paper their license is printed on will intervene to stop a dangerous situation. A serious drug interaction, an overdose, drug seeking behavior, none of that gets out the door, but I also know next to none of you are doing the complete nine-point OBRA counseling required with each new prescription. If you are, you work for an independent with a revenue stream separate from the filling of traditional prescriptions or for a chain outlet that is falling far short of its corporate business goals, Because you can’t do complete nine-point OBRA counseling and meet any corporate business goals that allow that corporation to raise its stock price. Because the insurance industry does not value your professional obligations enough to pay you to meet them. Neither do the corporations that pretend you can meet your professional obligations for $4. So we end up holed up behind the computer watching its productivity graph turn red, telling us we’re spending too much time with each prescription, trying to keep up with the flood of faxes, trying to keep up with the number of phone lines that exceed the number of pharmacy employees on duty, and hoping that our technician who just had his hours cut can steer the patient towards checking the box that says they didn’t want any counseling anyway.

Because there isn’t a graph on the computer that tells us when we’ve met our OBRA mandates, only a graph that tells us how many prescriptions we’ve managed to get out the door.

It doesn’t have to be this way. I used to work the graveyard shift for one of this country’s major pharmacy chains. I had a regular customer who told me she woke up early on days when she had to go to the drugstore because she knew if she came in at 5 in the morning she’d be able to talk to an actual pharmacist. A small chain in the city where I now work has advertised among its “5 reasons to being us your next prescription” “The ability to talk to a pharmacist” If a little old lady will get out of bed to make sure she can talk to one of us, if a nimble, start up business free from the constraints of old thinking can advertise access to one of us as a competitive advantage, that tells me people want us to meet our professional obligations, and there is money to be made by doing so. My gut tells me most of us want to do so as well, but first we have to break the paradigm that says professional obligations and corporate business goals are incompatible. The truth you’ve yet to read in this, or any other trade magazine, however, is that the gap between corporate business goals and our professional obligations to the public seems to be growing by the hour.

I’m afraid an explosion is coming.


I guess I can't blame Drug Topics for not publishing an article that kinda insults them. I'll also guess however, that it's better than anything you'll see in their next issue. 

Except maybe Jim's column. 


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

put rem's happy smiling people on your playlist...fitting background music for this post

Anonymous said...

I love all the happy smiling pharmacists in the magazines, I think I even saw one actually sitting down!! We are constantly being told in the UK that we will have increased clinical roles and new jobs to do. Which sounds great, I will get to use my knowledge. However the money for that comes from a reduction in our bread and butter, precription payments. This means a drop in profits>a squeeze in staff levels for head office>no time for additional services. Coupled with the lack of commisioned services at a local level, we are now getting less money and less staff to do the ever increasing script volumes. For example, my shop has had an increase in precriptions of 6.1% this year, and sales about 3%. Hoever our NHS payments are down 29% on last year and staffing levels have been cut.

beyr85 said...

Love it. Abso-freaking-lutely love it. Im a P3 at a COP and work at a regional chain. I spend my mornings having PhD's and faculty tell me how pharmacy should be, and I spend my 3-9 night shifts explaining PA's, deductibles, and listening to the shitty music catalyst has playing on its hold line. I have hormonally imbalanced 55 year old ladies accuse me of keeping thier prempro prices high. Respected elders at local churches bitch and whine and yell at me when their lipitor co-pay jumps for the 3rd straight year( other statins have been offered by me, but apparently, if thier god-like doctor reccomends lipitor 10mg QD....Simva 20mg is not a viable option...and I shouldnt have the "nerve" to question Dr. Zeus-Hercules....silly me)

However, the bright spot of my mornings, while the world is still queit and in thier BDZ-induced slumber, is to pour some coffee, turn on my computer, and read your blog. It lets me know that I'm not the only one who thinks retail is a soul-crushing, thank-less, black-hole of a job. It is made only worse by the fact that I'm still a student(read- 150k in loan damage to recieve said degree) and dont make the money that would at least buy me the nice things to forget the day I just had, but the smile I get from reading you blog puts me in a better moood.

Bravo to you sir, I hope for the day that I open DrugTopics and see your article.

Anonymous said...

pre-big leagues, right?

It was good.. I know you can keep it up... You're an excellent writer and an even better pharmacist..

Drug Topics should've picked it up. Their loss.

Anonymous said...

At the time OBRA was launched, I attended a CE program on patient counseling. An instructional film showed a happy, attractive pharmacist talking up her patient with, "What did the doctor tell you about this medication?" and "How did your doctor tell you to take this medication?" I kept listening for the 14 phone calls I would be receiving at this time; not a sign of them in the film. I also expected the patinet to answer the first question with, "He/she didn't say a f-----g thing to me about this expensive s--t!", which is the way it usually goes. At least give the student a real picture of things, you educators.

Anonymous said...

Only do the retail part-time as a temp, but after getting into the job 1.5 hrs early and still not caught up by opening, it occurred to me that there has to be a better way. I pay cash for my year's worth of maintenance meds, and sorta feel bad about the folks that have to come in to the shop every 30 days because their 'insurance' won't cover more than that. I sortof feel bad that in this particular set-up all scripts are entered by techs that hit the smoking lounge on mandated breaks. I sorta feel bad that we all averaged < 2.1 min/Rx/RPh and it was the other temp's 1st day after knee surgery and my first after a GI bug, 6 hrs sleep, and a 1.5 hr drive--so, if we would've had to call off, there'd have been one RPh for those 700+ Rxs. Just what is the overall benefit to society of all those prescription drugs?

Utah Savage said...

I'd come in in the middle of the night to have you fill my RXs anytime. But the cute guy in the daytime on the week days calls out my name even if I'm not at the pharmacy, but just shopping for baby aspirin. We old bipolar old ladies like the flirtatious eye candy.

Anonymous said...

Dear Drug Monkey,
Awesome article, and true to life. We just implemented a new computer system at work today, and you would say that everyone was the opposite of calm, smiley, and happy. Wait times were about 40-60min, as absolutely nothing worked the way I'm sure corporate high ups envisioned. By the way, thank you corporate high ups, for implementing a brand new computer/processing system on a Monday, the busiest of all pharmacy days. If those fucks knew anything about working in a pharmacy, they would have not done this to us on a monday of all days. Today was hell

Anonymous said...

So I have a question for you Drug Monkey that I still haven't been able to get a good answer to. Today I was trying to consult a woman on her 10 augmentin generic pills and then I got to the price, which was $49.10, and she basically looked at me and said "fuck you" with her eyes. At this point I asked if she had her insurance card on her. She produced said card and once it was run though the insurance her price was $14.90, but the little thing underneath it that says how much her insurance saved her said $0.00.
Where the hell did that other $35 go? Did the insurance company work out a lower price for their customers even though they pay nothing for it? Do we really bend over cash paying customers this much? I really hate myself when I have to charge people hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars for their drugs. Can you solve this mystery with any of your experience?

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those PhDs (and I think the DM knows which one) and I have to say that I'd change the world of pharmacy if I could. Pharmacy organizations gave away the store when they pushed for OBRA as some sort of panacea that would force the chains to have their pharmacists perform truly professional functions for every patient. Instead, by making 95% of what patients need from us a legal mandate, all the professional organizations accomplished was to lower to zero the price of those services. Profit-based organizations will have their employees perform activities that are profitable to the organization -- as quickly and as frequently as inhumanely possible. I've never said I like it and I certainly don't think it's in the interests of patients or of pharmacists but, sadly, that's the way it is.

Talk to the professional organizations about these issues and they look at you like you're some kind of radical union organizer who just stepped off a space ship. I know. I did and none of the professional organizations was interested in hiring Klatu, PhD as a result. Working to advance the pharmacy profession from within the likes of APhA will never involve taking on the issues raised by the DM or taking on companies like his employer. They seem to like those happy pictures. Well, last time I looked, Mickey Mouse is all smiles too and he's just about as real.

Hang in there, DM.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Anonymous #4,

Yes, we really do bend over cash paying customers that much. That other $35 would have gone straight to corporate headquarters.

There are two factors that increase the bend over factor in your case:

1) Generic med. Generics are priced down from the brand, not up from acquisition cost. The corporates have learned that saying "you saved $20 off the brand name!" Rarely leads to customers finding out we made $50. Now you know why the corporates are so insanely dedicated to making sure every single prescription that can be filled with a generic, is filled with a generic.

Most corporates have also learned to print the "usual and customary" price for the customer to see when the insurance goes through, as opposed to the insurance-dictated reimbursement rate. I'm betting that change will happen before too long at your place.

And to answer another question, even when an insurance company pays nothing on a particular claim, yes, they have a formula that determines how much you can charge one of their cardholders. Lets just say your contract terms for Blue Cross of Buttfuckistan call for reimbursement of AWP-15%+2.50. If you submit a claim, and the math is done and it works out to $14.50, and the customer's normal co-pay is $20, than you are contractually obligated to charge them $14.50 and get exactly $0.00 from Blue Cross of Buttfuckistan, no matter what you would normally charge a cash-paying customer.

Oh, the other factor that contributed to the shafting in your case, antibiotic. Corporates have learned that when people are sick they rarely shop on price.

What I'm saying here applies to places that run their businesses as drugstores, which is why you've started to see exceptions come from businesses where the pharmacy is only part of the larger money making plan. The corporates at the drugstores will tell you the shafting of the occasional straight cash-paying customer that wanders in is necessary to make up for the shafting we take from the insurance companies on everyone else. Is it true? To some extent. Not to the extent they'd like you to believe. Walgreen's and CVS run their business with negligible numbers of straight cash paying prescription customers these days, and they still have plenty more money left over at the end of each quarter then they spent.

The irony is when you're taking hundreds, or thousands, of someone's dollars, that's actually when you are least likely to be ripping them off. Especially when they are insured. Factor in each and every cost associated with that prescription, especially if it spent time sitting on your shelf, and it's possible you may have come out behind on that one.

In general, I just try to leave the bean counting to the corporates and take care of the people at the counter the best I can. If nothing else, perhaps you taught the woman a lesson on the value of presenting her insurance card at the appropriate time.....

Anonymous said...

DM: Maybe they did not like your picture...were you smiling?

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to remember the 9 OBRA mandates!!! I tell 'em how to take it and what side effects to watch out for. Oh, and if it's a suspension, whether or not to refrigerate it. That's only 3... I guess I get an "F" in counseling!

Anonymous said...

Except for reading Jim Plagakis, looking for articles that have to do with law, and "Can You Read This?" in Pharmacy Times, the journals are completely useless. They have nothing at all to do with the reality of pharmacy, and frankly, I don't give a shit what the top 100 drugs are, or how to help people treat their athlete's foot. Your article is right on, and even though no one will publish it, that is the beauty of the internet. It will be read.

Now I can't believe I am doing this, but I have to defend the chains. Re a response from the DrugMonkey. Do you think it's just chains that price things the way you state? Every business is out to make money. Independents have a habit of trying to make money as well. I know, I was one for many a year. Now I hate the corporate mentality as much if not more than the next guy, but I understand that when they make 6% on shit like Rebif and Enbrel, it has to be made up somewhere, and it's not trying to shaft the cash paying customer. With only about 5% of customers paying cash, why would you set usual and customary price based on that. It makes no economic sense. Then you get shafted on the other 95% of Rx's. I don't know about you, but I like my 6 figure salary, my health insurance and my 401K. Altruism is nice, but it sure as hell won't pay my salary, and I'm in no rush to join the host of statistics collecting unemployment.

I agree that the chain mentality basically sucks. The bullshit they have you do and then repeat 2-3 more times, the cutting of tech help and then the implementation of programs that require more time; I agree, these things suck, and like any big corporation, they are bottom line, money driven. I have and will continue to rant about this, however, their pricing model, from a business standpoint, makes sense.

The Ranting R.Ph.

Anonymous said...

Drug monkey,
Best answer to my question ever. Thank you for finally explaining this to me, it all makes sense now. I had asked 4 other pharmacists and no one had a decent answer or seemed to know what the heck was going on. It kinda makes me sick to screw cash paying customers so much, especially since they are the people who can probably afford to pay this the least. While Medicaid patients get their Rx's from the govt for 50 cents to a dollar. I just breaks my heart to charge people some of the prices we do, but I have come to the realization that the general public really has no clue how much drugs actually cost. I can't understand either how people are the least willing to pay for their healthcare, when really it's probably the most important thing in their lives.

Anonymous said...

Don't know how those things work in your neck of the woods, but 'round here, the regulatory body would probably put a clamp on forms of advertising like that. It's "unprofessional" and all those other soulless things student society presidents have been telling you since your first year of p school.

Anonymous said...

When we had a prescription charge, only £3.00 per item, we had a lady that came in every month for 3/4 meds that she needed to pay for, every single month she complained. why should i have to pay? how dare you charge me for these? etc. She even said a couple of times that she was being ripped off. I had had enough and i found out exactly what the NHS was contributing to the cost of her meds, it came to something like £900 for her 3/4 tabs. She still bloody complained the next month.

Anonymous said...

I work as little retail as possible...some occasional prn stuff. It's a rat race. It's like being on a factory assembly line while throwing in a phone that rings constantly, incompetent insurance companies, and many hateful and impatient customers who want something for nothing right now.
Hospital pharmacy is a little more tolerable. It's pretty much BS too though. It irks me to read these journals and their Disneyland versions of the practice of pharmacy. What a load of crap! We're overpaid slaves. Don't get me wrong... I'm happy to make six figures. The profession has changed though...in a bad way. Some day it will automated and we'll all meet in the unemployment line.

Anonymous said...

I like making six figures...but I hate my profession as it has become.