Saturday, May 10, 2008

Understatement Of The Day.

I live for pharmacy my friends. I breathe it. 24/7 my mind is on the drugs. Like just now I was spending my spare time reading about anticholinergic side effects. There is no better way to spend a Saturday night, and probably no better illustration of why I am single.

My commitment to medicine is matched only by my appreciation for stupid proclamations. Which is why I found this statement from our friends at Merck to be so personally fulfilling:

Anticholinergic effects include confusion, blurred vision, constipation, dry mouth, light-headedness, difficulty starting and continuing to urinate, and loss of bladder control. Most of these effects are undesirable.


A twofer! Informative and idiotic at the same time! Exactly which of these effects is the desirable one you suppose? Maybe the confusion. In a world gone insane, anticholinergic-induced confusion may be the best way to cope.

The blurred vision may also help with this. I see no possible role for loss of bladder control though.

8 comments:

  1. Can't see, can't spit, can't pee, can't shit. What else is there to read? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:06 AM

    I enjoy all of those things... with a desire and passion that can't be quenched... bring on the tricyclics baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've taken hyoscyamine, dicyclomine, ipratropium (inhalation), tiotropium (inhalation), and, yes, even scopolamine. I can tell you first-hand that the desirable one is the constipation. In fact, that's usually why I was taking them. [Somehow or another, I made it out without the benztropine, despite having been on nearly every antipsychotic made in the last 20 years. It was touch-and-go with Geodon once, though...]

    (And, yes, I love meds nearly as much as you, Mr. Monkey. Perhaps in another world, in another time, but alas, 'tis not meant to be for you and me.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:18 AM

    So it looks as though all I need is my trusty cholinergic drug to have a good life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:38 AM

    I'd still take dry mouth, blurred vision and the difficulty with urination-thing. It's kind of like being stoned with a UTI. I'm down with that.

    See? There's always a silver-lining!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:56 AM

    Does anyone else wish they could get a med history on someone before they dated them? Some hot girls not so hot once you see what they're on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll admit it: I saw a bottle of Seroquel on a date's night stand and suddenly remembered that I needed to be at a meeting early the next morning, and also needed to never see her again. In fairness, the crazy was already beginning to show after just two dates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:06 AM

    Anti-SLUD :)

    Hey you don't have to be single if you find someone to talk to about anticholinergic side effects.

    Sometimes you find a fun favorite friend to talk to about it. And sometimes the friend has a steel trap brain and remembers that you already told that story before. 5 months ago. :)

    ReplyDelete