Sunday, October 24, 2010

I Have Been Told My Hair Smells Girly.

Which I don't understand. The whole reason I picked my shampoo was because it was gender neutral.

"Prell" it says on the bottle. Followed by the word "shampoo" I just now sniffed it again. It just kinda smells like soap to me.

But the verdict was unambiguous. Girly. I've been using this shampoo for years and naturally am upset to find this out.

I wonder what a manly shampoo would even smell like? Hopefully not like the bus station where I found myself for part of this night. That odor, while definitely manly, was not pleasant.

Anyway, any suggestions you guys might have regarding masculine shampoo would be welcome.

31 comments:

  1. Don't sweat it. When my mother and I cleaned out the house where my late cousin, who won 4 DFCs in WWII and Korea, along with a slew of other medals, we found several empty bottles of Prell in the bathroom. Given that he retired from the USMC as a Lt. Colonel, flew combat aircraft in 3 wars, was friends with people such as Chesty Puller and other leaders of the Corps, I doubt that anyone ever told him that he smelled "girly". Or at least lived to tell about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annapolitan5:52 AM

    Suave has a line for men (dark blue bottles) that I think smells great. They even have a shampoo-conditioner-body wash 3-in-1 combo (silver bottle) that looks intriguing, though I've never smelled it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband uses the philosophy line of shampoo / body wash / bubble bath. Recent favorites are: Butterscotch, Rainbow Sherbet, Carmel Apple, Green Apple. I just bought him the Melting Marshmallow. I think he smells great.

    I use Head and Shoulders.

    Wear what makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:04 AM

    Paul Mitchell Lemon Sage Shampoo and you may as well get the Conditioner too. So there's still people that use Prell out there??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the Suave men's shampoo. Sometimes my hair smells like ammonia, especially if I'm sweating hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:29 AM

    How about bacon drippings?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:39 PM

    My fiance likes girly smells, like jasmine and stuff, and this very much bothers my mother, who bought him Axe shampoo. It's very manly. It smells like Brookstone or a new car. Also, gross.

    Pretty much anything a teen boy would use...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It smells like Axe or Old Spice. Please, for the love of little green apples, don't go that route.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think anything that smells at all pleasant is considered girly. Most "neutral" products have added fragrances to make you smell more like soap, because soap smell is associated with clean. That's probably what you are getting from this one.

    The best thing I can think of is to switch to an unscented product. It'll still smell like soap, but just a lot less obviously. Ideally the odor would be unnoticeable unless someone parks their nose on your scalp.

    If that's not good enough, try for something with a sharp or mediciney smell. Head & Shoulders could be an example.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot about the axe shampoos until someone here mentioned it. I vote axe. Though I have never smelled the suave line.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:51 PM

    I'm crazy about Neutrogena T/Gel which smells like creosote: think railroad ties or wharfs. Doesn't get much manlier than that. In fact, I don't even really use shampoo very often. I just like this stuff for the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6:32 PM

    What's wrong with just using soap? I'm with Anonymous in the previous post on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:57 PM

    Most Marines don't have enough hair to wash BUT if you want manly a couple of drops of gasoline or #2 diesel (or JP-8 if you have any) in AXE is pretty good.
    Loup Garrou

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who the hell is smelling your hair or close enough to you to do so? lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:00 AM

    Is there a nonsmelling shampoo? My nose grew back when I quit smoking and I can't stand most smells.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Danimal6:56 AM

    Real men don't need shampoo. We make our own soap from lye and lard, and use that to wash our hair, balls, and clothes. We then put bactine on our burns, whimper, and pretend we like it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous7:36 AM

    permenthine....and smell issue will be resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous12:36 PM

    I agree with the T/Gel comment. Another nasty smelling shampoo is Selsun Blue, which smells like an old fashioned chemistry set....

    ReplyDelete
  19. SarahRx3:34 PM

    Do you want men to like the way your hair smells, or women? I'm guessing women, so old spice or suave or the like. If you want men to like the way your hair smells then a beer rinse afterwards should do the trick.

    If you want to repel women, axe is what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They still make Prell????

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous5:15 PM

    Personally, I like my husband to use my shampoo because it smells so good. Girly? I guess so.....His hair smells good to me. I say go with what makes your hair LOOK good, then when you snag the GF, ask her what she prefers. That is, if you really don't care. Prell? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Moral Nomad5:56 PM

    Aussie Shampoos. Least annoying smells.

    Anyone here going to the Rally to Restore Sanity/Fear this weekend? I'm thinking of taking a sign that says "Restore Sanity in the Pharmacy."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous10:46 AM

    be careful at the bar, someone is checking/smelling you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tonina4:30 PM

    Wow, Prell is still out there? Bizarre.

    If you ever want to get laid again, avoid Axe products. Every woman I know, old or young, from hot and skinny to chubby and homely, hates that crap. Personally, I like green apple scented shampoo on guys - it doesn't smell overwhelming like Old Spice or Axe stuff, and it's a pleasant, relatively gender-neutral scent. However, that's just me. Why not find a scent you enjoy and tell everyone who doesn't like it to shove off?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nothing girly about you, you big he-man. (grunt)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous10:05 PM

    neutrogena anti-residue clarifying shampoo smells very manly. and thats not something i aim for.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous12:15 AM

    Coal Tar shampoo smells manly (yuck). Tea Tree shampoo smells minty.
    Rinsing well helps eliminate any scent.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i would vote either tea tree shampoo or at least one you like the smell of. avoid any AXE product because that's the fastest way to repell people.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous9:54 AM

    Avoid any of the axe or old spice products for the love of potatoes please.

    My bf uses my shampoo (green apples or strawberries and cream)...He smells delicious.

    If you want manly, just rub some dirt or ball sweat all up in there.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous8:00 PM

    Crew is a Men's line of hair care and it smells really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would vote for American Crew (sage/tea tree oil blend). It's a lil pricey, but it's right across the store at Walgreens!

    ReplyDelete